Welcome

Welcome
John William Tuohy lives in Washington DC

On writing



“An unpublished writer should doubt themselves. They should constantly wonder whether what they’re creating has merit. And then, having doubted, they should take up their pen and see if they can’t make it better.”  Johnny Rich

For your born writer, nothing is so healing as the realization that he has come upon the right word.  Catherine Drinker Bowen

T.S. Eliot on Writing: His Warm and Wry Letter of Advice to a Sixteen-Year-Old Girl Aspiring to Become a Writer; “Don’t write at first for anyone but yourself.”
 “The best kind of writing, and the biggest thrill in writing, is to suddenly read a line from your typewriter that you didn’t know was in you.”  
“A writer is a world trapped in a person.”

“The ending has to fit. The ending has to matter and make  sense.
I could care less about whether it’s happy or sad or atomic.
The ending is the place where you go, ‘Aha. Of course. That’s right.’”
                                                                                               Carrie Jones

“It’s a funny thing about writing. You get so balled up in a story idea that you lose your perspective and forget that human being might read your words someday.” Gary Reilly

“Our sufferings and weaknesses, in so far as they are personal, are of no literary interest whatsoever. They are only interesting in so far as we can see them as typical of the human condition.”  W.H. Auden

“Any writer worth his salt writes to please himself…It’s a self-exploratory operation that is endless. An exorcism of not necessarily his demon, but of his divine discontent”   Harper Lee

“It is by sitting down to write every morning that one becomes a writer.”      Gerald Brenan

 “I was so sentimental about you I’d break any one’s heart for you. My, I was a damned fool. I broke my own heart, too. It’s broken and gone. Everything I believe in and everything I cared about I left for you because you were so wonderful and you loved me so much that love was all that mattered. Love was the greatest thing, wasn’t it?”  Ernest Hemingway, To Have and Have Not