Welcome

Welcome
John William Tuohy lives in Washington DC

A Professor's Song

 A Professor's Song

By John Berryman

(. . .rabid or dog-dull.) Let me tell you how

The Eighteenth Century couplet ended. Now

Tell me. Troll me the sources of that Song---

Assigned last week---by Blake. Come, come along,

Gentleman. (Fidget and huddle, do. Squint soon.)

I want to end these fellows all by noon.

 

'That deep romantic chasm'---an early use;

The word is from the French, by our abuse

Fished out a bit. (Red all your eyes. O when?)

'A poet is a man speaking to men':

But I am then a poet, am I not?---

Ha ha. The radiator, please. Well, what?

 

Alive now---no---Blake would have written prose,

But movement following movement crisply flows,

So much the better, better the much so,

As burbleth Mozart. Twelve. The class can go.

Until I meet you, then, in Upper Hell

Convulsed, foaming immortal blood: farewell.