Welcome

Welcome
John William Tuohy lives in Washington DC

Judging a fish on its ability to climb a tree


This story that follows about a boy named Ben and his school problems, had a profound effect on me because like Ben, I had an awful time in school, because, to hit it on the head, my teachers thought I was dumb. And school, being the way it is, the other kids in the class, therefore, assumed I was dumb too because kids can read their teachers with expert precision. School for me was often as embarrassing as it was humiliating. I knew I wasn’t dumb but in school, that doesn’t matter and that just made it all worse, a lot worse.
I would see a word on a page, and, I swear to you,  the God damn things would rearrange themselves in front of me.  The advanced concepts of mathematics, meaning anything beyond simple addition, were just lost on me. So was science.  When the teachers would start teaching in those classes, and once again I swear this is true, they switched from English to a rare dialect of Mandarin no longer spoken, even in China. Honest to God, they did.
 Eventually, in the 12 grade, I left school……okay, I left after I was invited to leave, but still, I left. I didn’t have to stay there to be overlooked and humiliated. I could go anywhere and be overlooked and humiliated.   
I’m sorry I missed proms and football games and going steady and all that stuff  that comes with high school, but it was a relief to get out of there because after that, no one ever again summed me up as dumb because I couldn’t add numbers correctly or read a sentence without stumbling over it a dozen times or grasp academic concepts that don’t matter,  or forget what my class schedule was…….because in the real world the notion of dumb and smart is different and much more practical.
In school, I was dumb. In the working world, I was smart. I could make money. I was given jobs I wasn’t qualified for on a resume, but I got them because I could think outside the box and visualize the impossible from left field. The most important thing of all is that I could make people laugh and in a business world dominated by men, the guy who makes everyone laugh is assumed by other men to be some kind of genius.
Remember when you were a kid and you swore that when you became not a kid, that you would remember all the mean and stupid things adults did to kids and swore you never do those things?  
Well, I remembered that promise and I think one of the proudest moments of my life was when my son came to me, very upset, and said he was having a hard time in school, that he felt dumb and confused. I know you shouldn’t swear in front of your children, and I almost never did, but that day I was so eager to take on the problem, I said “Aw fuck ‘em all big guy you’re just smart in a different way”
After that, I took him out of school one day a week and we drove around and looked at things, everything, it didn’t matter what it was, and I explained it to him, what the thing did, why it did it and why the world needed to do what it was doing.  It worked, and it worked because like me, my son learned from right to left while the rest of the world learns left to right.   
So when I read about this child, my soul brother, in the following article and the wonderful, wonderful teacher who understood him, I was genuinely moved, and I hope you will be as well.
JOHN

Autistic boy fails school exams – teacher sends him home with powerful letter that goes viral

Bringing up a youngster with learning challenges isn’t any less compensating than raising one without them, yet it very well may be said that it’s significantly harder.
While guardians of youngsters without learning challenges without a doubt worry over all the typical things a mother or father does, those guardians whose kids are brought into the world with conditions, for example, chemical imbalance have each one of those worries and that’s only the tip of the iceberg.
Likewise, notwithstanding the stresses of the guardians, the kids themselves can some of the time battle in high-pressure social conditions. There is no preferable case of this over school, where evaluations assume a significant job in your advancement.
11-year-old Ben Twist lives with mental imbalance, and his mother Gail was given a tremendous amazement when her child’s school sent a letter home after he bombed his SAT tests …
When Gail got a letter from Ben’s school, she would have been pardoned for anticipating that it should say something regarding how he expected to function more enthusiastically or improve his evaluations. Rather, the letter contained no such thing.
The inventive masterminds at Lansbury Bridge School and Sports College, in St. Helens, Merseyside rather gave Ben an increase in certainty. Regardless of the reality he’d bombed his SAT tests, his instructor perceived that what he required was support, not judgment.

The letter
Mrs. Clarkson sent him home with a touching letter that let him know just how skilled he is, and what exactly he brings to the table.
The letter reads:
“Dear Ben,
I am writing you to congratulate you on your attitude and success in completing your end of key stage SATs. Gil, Lynn, Angela, Steph and Anne have worked so well with you this year and you have made some fabulous progress. I have written to you and your parents to tell you the results of the tests.
A very important piece of information I want you to understand is that these tests only measure a little bit of you and your abilities. They are important and you have done so well, but Ben Twist is made up of many other skills and talents that we at Lansbury Bridge see and measure in other ways.”
The response
Upon reading the letter, Ben’s mom Gail found herself tearing up. Mrs. Clarkson’s letter went on to list the things Ben was good at, things that a usual school test can’t measure.
“Other talents you have that these tests do not measure include: -Your artistic talents, your ability to work in a team, your growing independence, your kindness, your ability to express your opinion, your abilities in sports, your ability to make and keep friends, your ability to discuss and evaluate your own progress, your design and building talents, and your musical ability.
We are so pleased that all of these different talents and abilities make you the special person you are and these are all of the things we measure to reassure us that you are always making progress and continuing to develop as a lovely, bright young man.
Well done Ben, we are very proud of you.
Best Wishes, Mrs. Clarkson”
The world needs more teacher’s like Mrs. Clarkson It would have been all too easy for her to send a standard letter telling Ben’s mom that he needed to improve or change in some way. She didn’t though, because she realizes that judging a fish on its ability to climb a tree is as pointless as judging a monkey on its ability to swim in deep waters.
We hope that Ben takes his teacher’s words to heart and uses them to remember that his value should never be measured by the results of a school test.