Welcome

Welcome
John William Tuohy lives in Washington DC

The Portrait, Stanley Kunitz, 1905 - 2006






My mother never forgave my father

for killing himself,


especially at such an awkward time


and in a public park,


that spring


when I was waiting to be born.


She locked his name


in her deepest cabinet


and would not let him out,


though I could hear him thumping.


When I came down from the attic


with the pastel portrait in my hand


of a long-lipped stranger


with a brave moustache


and deep brown level eyes,


she ripped it into shreds


without a single word


and slapped me hard.


In my sixty-fourth year


I can feel my cheek


still burning







Born on July 29, 1905, Stanley Kunitz was the author of many poetry collections, as well as the winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Selected Poems, 1928-1958