Welcome

Welcome
John William Tuohy lives in Washington DC

The Elephants of Thula Thula



Lawrence Anthony was an acclaimed conservationist, best-selling author and environmentalist. He was the founder and owned and ran the Thula Thula Exclusive Private Game Reserve in Zululand, Kwazulu Natal.

In 1999, he was asked to accept a herd of wild elephants and he did. The herd elephants would have been killed if he didn’t accept them because they were difficult and had escaped from other enclosures “leaving a trail of havoc across KwaZulu Natal. “
Anthony said that “by treating the elephants like children, trying to persuade them with words and gestures, showing them that they shouldn’t misbehave and that they could trust me.”
He focused his attention on the leader of the herd, Nana. “I’d go down to the fence and I’d plead with Nana not to break it down,’ he said. ‘I knew she didn’t understand English, but I hoped she’d understand by the tone of my voice and my body language what I was saying. And one morning, instead of trying to break the fence down, she just stood there. Then she put her trunk through the fence towards me. I knew she wanted to touch me. That was a turning point.”
There are two elephant herds at Thula Thula Game Reserve and according to Anthony’s son Dylan, both herds arrived at the house after Anthony’s death. ‘They had not visited the house for a year-and-a-half. It had taken them about 12 hours to make the journey. “They all hung around for about two days before making their way back into the bush” said Dylan.
In their mourning, the elephants remained outside Anthony's home for two days and two nights without any food. The next morning, they left as mysteriously as they came and began their journey back home. According to his wife, Françoise Malby-Anthony and several journalists. the elephants, his devoted friends, have since returned every year since his death. On the same day, March 7.