John William Tuohy lives in Washington DC

John Tuohy's History of Organized Crime in Chicago (G)


Gagliano, Donald J.: Sam “Teets” Battaglia’s son in law. He married Battaglia’s daughter JoAnne in 1964

Gagliano, Joe: Born 1915. Died December 12, 1971. Resided at 1731 Thatcher Road in Elmwood Park. AKA Joey Gags and/or Joey Gags A member of the Chicago mob, in 1964, he put up half of a $65,000.00 bribe needed to walk free from federal charges. Ricca, Accardo and Giancana put up the other half. He controlled a vast juke box and loan shark racket on the west side in the late 1950s and early 1960s although his career with the outfit started before 1930 when he worked under Frank Nitti as a labor goon. Gagliano did time for armed robbery in 1934 and in 1964 was arrested with Wee Willie Messino for kidnapping and beating a loan juice victim, ex con Joey Weisphal, who fell behind on his payments. (25% interest per week on a $2,000 loan)  Weisphal was hung from a ceiling pipe by handcuffs in a basement in Cicero and beaten for two days before he was released. Gagliano, well insulated in the Outfit was acquitted but Messino was sentenced to ten to 30 years in the assault.  Gagliano died in his sleep after suffering a mild heart attack. Over one hundred hoods turned out for his funeral. Al Sarno, a former Chicago cop, was believed to have taken over his operations.

Gorczak, Anton: On April 23, 1941, Gorczak, a driver for a dry cleaning plant, was beaten to death with baseball bats by two men, who hit him on the head twelve times before they killed him. Police suspect that Gorczak was trying to break Murray Humpreys iron grasp on Chicago’s dry cleaners.   

Guzzino Sam: A long time soldier in the mob, he was murdered in 1981 in what one law enforcement official called “A general house cleaning”

Grimaldi Charles AKA Chucky Chicago Outfit Informer 

Grisafe, Joey: Brought into the mob in the early 1960s as a hitman. He showed promise and was moving up the mobs ranks in the 1970s when he was murdered for reasons unknown. His body was left dumped in a ditch.

Guinta, Giuseppe: AKA Hop Toad. In 1929, Guinta briefly led the Chicago branch of the Unione Siciliano upon the death of Pasqualino Lolordo in January 1929. He and his partners, John Scalise and Albert Anselmi, tried, unsuccessfully, to organize a revolt among Sicilians against the powerful Capone mob.  Guinta continued to resist Capone's attempts to dominate the Unione and drew John Scalise and Albert Anselmi, both Capone men, into a plot to kill Capone. Capone found out and on May 7, 1929, he invited Guinta, Scalise and Anselmi to a celebration dinner at the Hawthorne Inn in Cicero. At the dinner, he ordered the three men tied to their chairs and beat them to death with a baseball bat (A Louisville Slugger purchased in a nearby hardware store) Afterwards Jack McGurn shot them for good measure. Joe Aiello replaced Guinta as Unione

DiCaro, Charles AKA Specs. A small time hood active in the 1960s.

Guzzino, Nick: A member of Al Pilotto's crew, active in the 1970-90s.

Goldstein, William: Billy Skidmore’s partner of many years was Attorney William Goldstein he was his lawyer but turned witness against him in 1940 when he faced perjury charges in an income tax case in October 1946.

Granata Joseph. Born 1944 Granata was part of the Cicero Crew under Joseph Ferriola and later with Rocky Infelise and was a close associate and driver for Chuckie Nicoletti, although his primary job was an enforcer, collector and arsonist.  His father, Frank Granata, who operated the Granata Funeral home and was a soldier in the Outfit for decades, as was Joey Granata’s brother, Frank Jr (AKA Gigi Boy) in the North Side Elmwood Park Crew. When Granata decided to flip to the governments side he contacted an old high school friend who was with the US Treasury Enforcement Office and simply told him he wanted to change sides.
   In a conversation recorded by Granata of him and Jack Gail, a career criminal, at the coffee shop of the Rosemont restaurant on December 8, 1992, the two felons discussed murder.
 they talked privately of their experiences as killers, according to secret tape recordings.
Granata tells Gail that he liked to see his victims plead for their lives.
"You just wanna have fun," Granata said "What ya do is let him beg, let him beg, let him beg. Did you ever have a . . . . beg?"
"No, I never let anybody beg," responded Gail
"Oh, I love it," Granata continued.
"Let me tell you something," said Gail "When I do that there ain't no conversation, nothin.' See, I'm a believer. . . I don't deal with them (lying)."
"I laugh," Granata replied. "I bust out laughing. You're gonna see, I'm gonna laugh. Cause I love it. I laugh and they look and they go, `Oh, it's all right, this is all a joke.' "
Gail was eventually arrested and convicted of armed violence and possession of a controlled substance involving some cocaine and a .357 Magnum revolver that Gail purchased from Granata in January in the parking lot of the Lake Forest Oasis on the Tri-State Tollway. In 1994, Granata was charged with a murder for hire in Wyoming

Giannone Anthony Born 1963. Giannone is a mob-connected bookmaker who was known to threaten late payers with violence. In another recording played in federal court in June, Giannone recounted warning one gambler who owed him $55,000, "When I find you, every day it rains you're going to remember me."  In 2001 he was indicted for operating a large-scale marijuana operation that intended to deliver more than 220 pounds to its customers in less than three months

Glitta Michael J. AKA The Fire Bug Born 1921 Died 1995. Glitta was said to be the mob's reputed boss of vice and pornography in Chicago and the north suburbs. In 1957 Glitta was convicted on federal charges that he possessed six cartons of women's nylon stockings, part of a $6,000 shipment of hosiery stolen a year earlier from a Chicago railroad freight house. He was placed on probation. It was his only arrest. In 1982, the Chicago Crime Commission said Glitta's pornography interests extended from Rush Street to the Wisconsin state line and said that "B-girls, prostitutes and pornography have apparently been Mike Glitta's stock and trade for the past 20 years." In 1986, he was charged with illegal possession of two .38 caliber revolvers (Illegal based on his prior felony record)
   The Chicago Crime Commission claimed that he got his start in vice rackets by running B-girl strip joints in Chicago and later branched out to X-rated films and cassette tapes. He was also involved in the manufacturing and sales of pornographic books, magazines, films and sexual paraphernalia. Others involved in the business included Johnny Matassa, a Solano protégé, Orlando Catanese and Leo Weintraub. Glitta was said to report directly to Vincent Solano, then boss of the North side. Although Glitta was regarded by the local police and the FBI as the mob's top man in the distribution of pornography, there were
Indications, just before his death, that his power was waning. When gangster Frankie Schweihs moved in on one North Wells Street pornography shop and was planning to take over another, Glitta said nothing. Normally those shops would have been under
Glitta's territory and protection. Glitta, who had a history of heart ailments, suffered a fatal heart attack in his apartment

Granata, Frank Jr A mob soldier under Joe Ferriola, he died in May 1995 while awaiting a heart transplant. In 1999, Granata’s wife, Gloria, was arrested for running her dead husbands mob-connected money- laundering operation. An undercover IRS agent using an alias of Pat Dailey and wearing a hidden recorder posed as a crook who had cash to burn from dealing in narcotics, stolen goods and illegal gambling. Granata funneled cash through several health-care clinics and businesses, giving the mob its cut before taking her share. To make the pay outs appear to be legitimate business payments, the checks came from the Granata’s health-care businesses and went to phony companies that had been set up by the undercover agents.

Gigante, Patrick A. Born 1917 resided at 1928 North Oak Park Ave. A relative of Paul Ricca. He and brother Joe worked for the film projectionists union in the 1960s. 

Grieco, Donald: 7701 Wilson Ave Norridge. The son in law of deported Mob capo Gaitano Morgano (AKA Tommy Moore) In 1966 Grieco fled the city rather than answer questions before a grand jury concerning Chicago’s loan sharking industry. 

Grieco Joe,  Starting in 1981 through 1990, Majestic Eagle Investment Co. had been the mob's leading juice loan leader. The firm provided hundreds of loans at exorbitant interest rates, as high as 72 percent in one case, to businessmen desperate for cash. The company was the creation of Joe Grieco, a three time felony loser who built the company shortly after being released from federal prison on an obstruction of justice charge. The idea was simple, use a firm bankrolled by mob bosses to become a money source of last resort for cash-strapped borrowers, including gamblers and owners of faltering businesses and gain control of legitimate businesses. The problem was, the gangsters got greedy and more than a dozen clients of Majestic Eagle ended up in bankruptcy after receiving loans from the firm, which caught the government’s attention.
Rocco Infelice was one of the primary investors in the company with an initial investment of $40,000 cash. Once in operation, the firm used loopholes in Illinois law to make loans to businesses at rates of up to 72 percent.
  Grieco personally began lending money to borrowers soon after his release from prison and made at least 15 loans to various firms and individuals in addition to loans made by Majestic Eagle. At least three of Majestic Eagle's former borrowers also sought separate loans directly from Infelice.
    The firm that owned the Golden Horn Restaurant in Northlake Illinois was a typical example of what happened to businesses that became involved with Grieco. The company filed for bankruptcy protection, saying it had debts of $805,224 and assets of only $345,644. Among the firm's debts was a 1984 loan for $45,000 to Majestic.
On June 28, 1985, a fire broke out in several locations in the restaurant. Investigators testified that evidence suggested an accelerant torch was used to start the fire.
The restaurant owners repaid the Majestic loan and two others when the land was sold to a car dealer, attorneys said.  Petros Sellis, one of the owners, said he couldn't recall how he came to borrow the money from Majestic.

The Guest House: 2409 Mannheim Road. A popular watering hole for the mob in the very late 1950s and early 1960s. Americo DePietto was thought to be the true owner.

Gruttadauro Salvatore AKA Sal. Born 1921 Died March 22, 1988. In 1985, Gruttadauro was called before the President's Crime Commission hearings to explain his ties, as a labor official, and the mob. Gruttadauro refused to testify and declined to identify himself or admit that he had served for years as a vice president and recording secretary of Local 1 of the Laborers Union, headed by mobster Vincent Solano.
But the commission's star witness, former mob gambling king Ken Eto, said that
Gruttadauro was a member of organized crime and that he reported directly to
Joe Ferriola. Gruttadauro later was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges he had sold union membership cards to officials of a nonunion cement refinishing company, and had passed on the proceeds, about $3,500, to Local 1 officials. He was convicted
in March of 1986, was fined $22,000 and placed on probation for two years. Gruttadauro then opened a portable lavatory service AAA Toilet Inc. which rented toilets to construction sites and outdoor public gatherings throughout Chicago including the annual Taste of Chicago festival.
   In March of 1988 Gruttadauro’s home caught fire. He braved the flames to save the life of his life in house keeper, his invalid wife Bridgett, a recent stroke victim, and the couple's daughter, Sally. Gruttadauro returned to the burning house to make sure everyone was out but "The fire” investigators said “followed him up the stairs and trapped him" His body was found under a running shower in the upstairs bathroom, to which he apparently fled in an effort to put out flames on his clothing. He died of burns and smoke inhalation

Gurgone Michael. Born 1937.  In 1983, Gurgone was part of a hair brain scheme to steal $600,000 in cash from a vault at Balmoral Park Race Track in Crete, Illinois. Gurgone and five others, Paul DiCaro, Walter Lesczynski, Thomas Harty
Paul "Peanuts" Panczko and James Basile.  They gave up after armed security guars kept stumbling, literally, into the robbery attempt. Gurgone, a noted mobster, was sentenced to seven years for his role in the crime. 
At the trail, Peter Panczko, the ring leader was the Outfits leading burglar and admitted to having served 26 years of his life in a dozen prisons, beginning in Tennessee in 1951, when he was convicted of robbing a salesman of $100,000 worth of jewelry in Nashville in 1951.Other crimes for which he served time included mail theft, possession of counterfeit money, bribing a federal court juror and robbing a Brink's Inc. money truck.
"Most of my life I was in crime," he said. "Burglaries, robberies, (cartage) hijackings, home invasions, (holdups of) jewelry salesmen . . .you name it, I did it"
Had a gun been used in these crimes? The prosecutor asked
Panczko smiled at the question.
"Yes," Panczko replied. "You just can't ask `em, `Please, give me your money.' You have to use some threat."

Gianola Leonard 1950s syndicate gambler who helped take over the Ted Roe operations

Guzzino Nicholas Born 1941. In 1985 Guzzino, 44, and Robert Ciarrocchi were convicted of orchestrating the bungled assassination of south suburban rackets boss Alfred Pilotto on a Crete golf course in 1981. Pilotto was shot several times but survived the attack. Guzzino and Ciarrocchi trained and equipped a hood named Daniel Bounds, to carry out the assassination. Bounds later testified that he pumped six bullets at close range into Pilotto with a handgun at the 8th tee of the Lincolnshire Country Club in Crete. He said he left assuming Pilotto was dead. Guzzino's older brother, Sam, recruited Bounds and vouched for him. Sam was acting as Pilotto’s bodyguard that day. Two months after the bungled attempt, Sam Guzzino was found dead, his throat cut, in a ditch in the southern suburbs
   Guzzino, an enforcer for Dominick "Tootsie" Palermo, was also an officer in the Laborers International Union. His family owned the Taste of Italy, a restaurant at 1235 Burnham Avenue in Calumet City, Illinois. Mobsters often met there while it was closed to the public between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on weekdays. One night in the winter of 1985, FBI agents waited for the place to close and then broke in, planting bugs everywhere. The secret tapes were a windfall for the government and resulted in the conviction of Guzzino and Dominick "Tootsie" Palermo, at the time, boss of the south suburbs. In 1991, they were both convicted for extorting protection money from northwest Indiana bookmakers. Guzzino was thought to be Palermo’s underboss. Both men were suspect of taking some role in the murder of the Spilotro brothers in 1986. Palermo died in prison and Guzzino,
who was 50 years old when he was convicted, was sentenced to 39 years and 6 months in prison and fined $185,000 and will probably die in prison as well.

Gioe Charles AKA Cherry Nose: Gioe had been the Chicago mobs point man in Iowa from 1936 until 1954 when he returned to Chicago full time and turned over his Iowa operations to Louis Frato. Gioe was primarily a gambler, in partnership, occasionally with Ralph Pierce, a right hand man to Mob chieftain Murray Humphreys. The pair owned a State Street handbook that gross over a million a year.
Gioe[1] played a role in the Hollywood Extortion Case, enough so that he was found guilty in the case in December of 1943 and sentenced to ten years in federal prison. However, Gioe and several others walked out of jail in 1947, after serving just over three years.
When the Kefauver committee came to Chicago it subpoenaed Gioe to testify about his questionable parole on the Hollywood extortion charges. He rarely took the Fifth when answering questions earning the praise of committee chair Estes Kefauver who said “Gioe appeared to be the most forthright and his testimony the most complete (of those who testified on the subject” It was the wrong type of praise for a Chicago hoodlum to get. On May 18, 1954, a Howard Johnson’s restaurant that was under construction on North Harlem Avenue was bombed. The police  believed that Joey Glimco, a mob boss and member of the Mafia, had ordered the explosion after the builders refused to cooperate on labor rates and which suppliers to use one the restaurant was completed. The businessmen contacted Gioe and asked him to speak to Glimco, which he did. Glimco, a foul mouthed mean tempered man, refused to back off. What happened next isn’t clear, but Gioe probably threatened Glimco with pressure from the legitimate world or worse, took his case to boss Paul Ricca. On August 18, 1954, Gioe and his business partner Hyman Wiseman were ambushed in Gioe’s car. Wiseman was badly shot up but Gioe was killed. Glimco was the number one suspect behind the murder. He turned himself into the local police, his lawyers in tow. He was questioned about the murder and released. No one in the underworld turned out for Gioe’s funeral.

Gerard, William:. On April 29 1927 murder charges were dropped against Sam Giancana, Diego Ricco (Born 1902) Joe Pape (Born 1904). The three members of the 42 gang had been charged with charged with the murder of William Gerard, a cigar store owner (1834 South Dearborn Street) during a robbery. The states chief witness Alexander Burba, a cab driver said he was offered $2,000 to change his testimony from the accused. When he refused, he was shot and killed. Afterwards, the second witness William Jones moved and couldn’t be located for two weeks. Police found him at 10 Twenty-Second Street but only after kicking down the door. He still refused to testify.

Grimaldi, Anthony: AKA Tony. Antonio Giancana (Born 1880) the father of future mob boss Sam Giancana and Tony Grimaldi (Born 1888) were co-owners in lemonade and ice cream shop at 1510 Taylor Street which probably doubled as a speakeasy.  On September 16 1928, the shop was bombed and on September 27 it was bombed again, this one tearing off the front of the store. On the night of September 28, Giancana, Grimaldi and Tony Russo, a bootlegger, were in front of the store when a car carrying three men pulled up; a shot rang out from the window, hitting Grimaldi in the leg. Three men leaped from the car to finish the murder, but Giancana wrestled them before he was beaten into submission with gun butts

Grieco, Joe and Don: Power in the mob in the early 1960s who rose under Fifi Buccieri. They opened a pizza delivery business using singer Vic Damone’s name. The brothers
lived in Norridge they operated LuLu Kosher Hot Dog Stand at 1000 South Levitt Street their father in law Gaitano Morgano AKA Tommy was deported to Italy in 1950.

Glickman, Bernard: Mob gambler active from the 1930 until at least the 1980s. Officially, Glickman was a fight promoter. He was partners with Accardo in the Cool Vent and Storm Window corporation as well as Howard Gardens, an apartment complex which he managed.   In 1966, he was said to have been badly beaten by Milwaukee Phil Aldersio. According to rumor, Glickman had been warned to stay away from Chicago based fighter Ernie Terrell a promising heavyweight fighter who was scheduled to take on Muhammad Ali. The mobsters felt that Glickman’s known association with the mob, especially with Tony Accardo, could ruin Terrell’s career. Instead, on November 1, 1961, Glickman flew to New York and was seen publicly with Terrell around the city. Shortly afterwards the state of New York refused to grant Terrell a boxing license because of his known association with Glickman. When Glickman returned to Chicago, Aldersio beat him senseless, breaking Glickman’s arm. In 1969, Glickman was reported to be living under an assumed name in California where he sold hearing aides.

Giancana, Sam Mob leader. As a teenager, Sam “Momo” Giancana was a member of the notorious 42 gang, where he earned his reputation as an outstanding gets away driver or wheelman His first arrest came in September 1925, for grand theft auto. Before his twentieth birthday he was picked up three more times. Once for suspicion of murdering a witness to a robbery case and the other for the killing of Octavius Granady a black man running for office in the heavily Italian 20th ward. On September 17, 1926, Giancana was indicted for murder. He was the teenage wheelman in an incident with other 42’s gang members when they robbed a middle aged barber named William Girard. When Girard, resisted they shot and killed him. A cab driver identified Giancana, who was arrested. The police worked him over for a few days, but he wouldn’t squeal and did his time. In November of 1928 Giancana was arrested for attempted burglary of a clothing store. He pleads guilty and was sentenced to one to five at Statesville prison. He was released on Christmas Eve, 1932, and he went to work for Paul Ricca. In May of 1939, Sam was arrested again, and sentenced to four years in federal prison Leavenworth. The charge was for moonshining. He had been caught in a barn in Elgin, Illinois, with 8800 gallons of mash 1000 gallons of alcohol and 1000 gallons of spirits.  Giancana was transferred from Leavenworth to Terre Haute Indiana where he tested 74 on verbal intelligence and 93 on non-verbal. He registered for the draft, but was appointed F-4  “He is a constitutional psychopath with an inadequate personality manifested by strong anti social tendencies” the report read. In 1942, gangster Murray Humphreys hired members of the 42 gang, which still included Giancana, as well as Marshal Caifano, Teets Battaglia and others, to guard the bosses while Roger Touhy gang was on the run from prison. In 1943, Giancana kidnapped Jake Guzak and held him in an empty building and gave him a choice; turn over a gift of $250,000.00 in exchange for support and acceptance from the outfit. Otherwise they would kill him.   Guzak accepted the offer for the money, vowed his support and was driven to West Roosevelt Road and released.
In about 1943, Giancana grew close to “Little New York” Campagna, Tony Accardo and Joe fusco. When it looked like Accardo would go to jail on a tax charge, Campagna told him “Your next in line”[2]    In June of 1953, Giancana may have ordered the kidnap murder of politician Clem Graver who refused to pay his kidnappers.  They never found his body. [3] By 1954, Sam Giancana was under boss to Accardo but, as his daughter wrote “I had a feeling at times that dad was like a peon to them, yet it was during these years that they both gave Sam more and more responsibility “[4]
She was right of course. Paul Ricca acted as through he were found of Giancana but he detested him according to sources, and, in   the end, Accardo probably ordered his death.
In December 1959 Tony Accardo had a lot on his mind, the Internal Revenue was all over him and Paul Ricca was in constant trouble with the Immigration and Naturalization Service.   After the raid on Appalchin, the FBI snapped to life and now Chicago was crawling with agents who were suddenly investigating every aspect of the mobs business. It was a dangerous time to be the boss, just as it had been back in 1933 when Ricca slyly set up Frank Nitti as the outfit’s leader so that Ricca could operate unnoticed behind the scenes. By 1959, Ricca had learned that the federal government’s resources were limited when it came to combating organized crime. If federal prosecutors couldn’t nail the biggest, the most powerful bosses, they simply went for the largest and flashiest mark
And left the others alone.  So in 1959, Ricca and Accardo decided to make Sam Giancana the government’s newest target, they promoted him to boss and told the world that they were retired. An FBI informant told the Bureau in 1959 that Giancana wasn’t really the boss and that the only person of any importance in the Mafia and the national syndicate who believed that Giancana was the boss was Giancana himself and a few yes men who worked under him.  Accardo called his top men to a meeting at Meo’s restaurant. (Not the Tam-O’Shanter as has been reported in the past) [5]
However Meo’s was too staid for Giancana’s taste. His favorite hang out was the Pink Clock bar where he would meet his mistress for whom he kept and apartment. However, Giancana would later put the Meo brothers in charge of the Villa Venice, a run down place he purchased on Milwaukee Avenue in rural Wheeling. Giancana poured a small fortune into the place, redecorated it and opened a casino in the back. He could afford it. By 1959, Giancana’s personnel take from Las Vegas was estimated to be $300,000.00 a month  After a quick dinner in Meo’s back, Accardo, a man of few words under the bets of occasions, rose to his feet and announced that he was stepping down as the boss and that Sam Giancana would take his place. “This is Sam” Accardo mumbled “He’s a friend of mine” It was, as Ovid Damaris pointed out “a coronation ceremony was deceptively simple: Accardo merely placed a hand on Giancana’s shoulder and said, “I want you to meet my friend, Sam Giancana” [6] Giancana was 49 when he took over the Chicago Outfit. A baby by Mafia standards. Moe Dalitz and Murray Humphreys, who had the utmost respect for Tony Accardo, could never understand why Accardo would sanction the rise of a dolt like Sam Giancana to head up the Chicago family.  Like most people in the underworld they felt that Sam Battaglia should have been named Boss instead of Giancana because Battaglia was calmer and more level headed, even though he lacked Giancana’s intelligence.  Many solders in the outfit and more then a few connected guys were outraged that Giancana got the job because they knew how hyper and hot-tempered he was. Most considered him a danger to himself and to them.
Giancana rise in the outfit was helped by the aging and increased wealth of the mob elders. By 1959, he had come to power. By then he had been arrested at least 63 times and had served time for auto theft, burglary and moonshining. He had killed an estimated 200 men and had fourteen different aliases, however his favorites would remain Sam Flood and Mr. Gold. He could be charming and likable. He was shy around those he didn’t know, more prone to listen then to talk.  He could also be childishly vain, wearing expensive toupees that cost him $1,000. His clothes were monogrammed and he had a solid gold key chain and diamond chips on his wristwatch. He owned a solid gold swizzle stick. He smoked foot long cigars and drove loud colored Cadillac’s, wore sharkskin suites, alligator shoes and silk shirts. On his right hand he wore a massive star sapphire pinky ring, a gift from Frank Sinatra. Like Frank Nitti, Giancana was always trying to better himself. He was remarkably well read, by mob standards. He studied antiques, particularly bisque and porcelain figurines and became an avid collector. He sent his girls to the most expensive and best catholic finishing schools in the Midwest.
When served a dish that was expensive he would say “I wonder what the poor are eating tonight” [7] However, he still ate in his old neighborhood at the Vernon Park Inn at Vernon Park and Aberdeen, where the bill seldom came to over $3.00 for an enormous meal. Sam Tufano called Papa O’Zeke a fat robust owned the place little man who had once cooked for Al Capone. He could encourage friends and family, he was generous. He could be caring and find time to hear out any solders or friend or family member’s problem. After his wife Angeline died in 1954, he was always on the make for a women and all he asked was that she have a nice figure and a pretty face, nothing more nothing less. He had a soundproofed cellar conference room in his Oak Park home at 1147 Wenonah Avenue.  To look at Sam Giancana in 1957 was to see the very embodiment of a gangster, and every one took notice including the federal government, which was exactly the plan, that Accardo and Ricca had in mind.
Acting as Giancana’s guide to running the mob, was Tony Accardo, who would never step completely down from his spot as boss of the mob. Tony Accardo was a peasant but a reserved man and a thinker. Giancana was a hyper aggressive personality. Another difference between Sam Giancana and Accardo and Ricca, aside from Accardo and Ricca’s superior intelligence, was that Accardo and Ricca knew how to stick to business.  Even Frank Nitti knew how to stick to business.  Giancana didn’t and that was how he got involved with one of the stupidest affairs the Chicago group had ever become entangled in, the CIA plot to kill Castro. Like Accardo, Giancana lost money in Cuba, not the millions that Accardo lost, but still it was more then he could afford to lose.
Behind Accardo was, Paul Ricca who would act, as advisor to Giancana even through he disliked him. Like Accardo, Ricca would remain a power behind the throne.
As his under boss, Giancana chose Frankie Strong. Another childhood friend, Butch Blasi, would be bodyguard, appointment secretary, driver and confidant. Blasi was also a collector who delivered cash to Accardo, Ricca and Giancana
Giancana’s loud style and fascination with Hollywood brought around the federal government and in October of 1962, while Sam was out of town Accardo and Ricca met with the political bosses who said that they “had never seen things so bad before” [8]
On May 14, 1965, Giancana was called in before a federal grand jury in Chicago and questioned for three days about the structure of the national commission in an effort by the Organized crime unit “to break the inner circle of the Chicago mafia”
In an effort to keep outsiders from knowing who may or may not have talked the DOJ flooded the field of potential informants by calling in everybody and anybody related to organized crime including Charlie English Fifi Buccieri Gussy Alex John D’Arco Pat Marcy Ben Jacobean of the first ward Anthony Tisci and Frank Annunzio with whom Tisci was now the aid for as well. On June 1 1965 Giancana was brought before Judge William S. Campbell
“Do you continue to refuse?” Campbell asked.
“Yes Sir” [9]     Giancana was ordered jailed until he talked or until the grand jury was dismissed telling Giancana “You have the key to your own cell”
A year passed before he was released the Justice Department had him lined up to appear at two and half years worth of grand jury hearings, however Giancana talked to the CIA and threatened to go pubic with the plots to kill Castro and the Justice department backed off. According to Giancana, after he was released from jail, Accardo had all but ordered him out of Chicago. He was humiliated and he swore he would never forget the treatment he had suffered at Accardo’s hand. The whole outfit was treating him “like a punk”[10] and he resented it. He had earned them, Ricca and Accardo and other, millions, maybe hundreds of millions, and now he was a Nobody. In fact, an FBI informant reported that it was widely agreed “Nobody is happy with Sam’s release and that he has to go or he’ll drag us all down the drain with him”  [11] On November 16 1966 another informant reported that “the bosses have placed a hit out on Giancana” On January 19, 1967, Giancana, told an informant that he intended to “go to an island and relax for the rest of my life. I’ll leave everything behind. They can have everything I got” [12] That statement, and others like it, were reported back to Ricca and Accardo who feared it was Giancana’s way of saying that he was going to flip over to the FBI.  They also wondered openly why he had not been subpoenaed since his release. But, by then Giancana had left Chicago for Mexico. However, before he left, his gambling club, the Villa Venice, exploded in a fireball for no apparent reason. John D’Arco handled the insurance claim, through his company Arco insurance.
By 1968, Tony Accardo wanted some of the millions that were pouring in to Sam Giancana’s gambling operations in Mexico and elsewhere. However Giancana felt that he had built the empire of gambling cruise ships and several illegal casinos around the world and the had no intention of splitting his share with anyone. He did give his bodyguard Richard Cain a fair share because he had helped to build the operation, but since Accardo had all but thrown him out of Chicago, Giancana considered himself an independent agent. He was also still smarting over the fact that when he taken over the black policy in the forties, that Ricca and Accardo hadn’t supported him with any cost of judge or guns, yet he was obligated to kick almost all of the money he made back up to them. Even when he was the boss, he still felt that he wasn’t getting his fair percentage from the black policy rackets and was smarting because he had to spill the money with Capos who now ran the territory.  Accardo sent Butch Blassi, who was now his bodyguard and driver, just as Sam had once been, to tell Giancana that Accardo wanted to have a sit down, but Giancana told Blassi to tell Accardo “to go to hell” [13]
One morning in 1972, Giancana awoke around 9:30 in the morning and stepped out into the walled garden that surrounded his estate in Mexico. It had been a reasonably good year.  He had spent Christmas in Santa Monica with his new girl friend and New Years on the beach at Waikiki. His casinos were earning him millions upon millions of dollars. Suddenly to men jumped out from behind the large trees and dragged him to the ground, handcuffed him and threw him into a car marked Immigration that had been waiting in the front of the house. He was tossed in the back seat and stripped of his silk pajamas and handed a blue work shirt and a pair of overall three times his size.
Sam demanded to see his Mexican lawyer Jorge Castillo, but Castillo was no fool. When he found out that Mexican federal officials didn’t want any more protection money from Giancana, he figured the end was near for the Chicago hood and disappeared for a while. What had happened was that the United States government had applied pressures to Mexican officials as to why a hood like Giancana was allowed to remain in their country for eight years on a temporary resident alien status.   The Immigration car drove to the airport and threw Giancana on the first plane bound north for America. Thirty minutes later
Momo Giancana was in San Antonio Texas with out a penny to his name wearing a pair of pants that would have fallen off of him had he let go of his grip. In San Antonio two FB agents served Giancana with a subpoena and put him on a plane to Chicago where more agents were waiting with more subpoenas. Among the agents was Bill Roemer who had berated Giancana at that same spot twelve years before in 1962. Roemer was shocked at what he saw “he looked like some Italian immigrant landing at Ellis Island, destitute and frail.” [14]
The Intelligence Unit for Chicago police hauled him away for questioning in the Dick Cain murder. He met with the grand jury four times but was evasive preferring a perjury charge to another contempt citation he told his children and his in-laws that he would do anything from “rotting away in jail” [15] but kept sending word to Accardo that he would never talk to the Fed’s but somebody close to Giancana got word to Accardo that Giancana said he would do anything to keep from rotting in jail.   By that time, the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee chaired by Idaho’s Frank Church was looking into the CIA monkeyshines over the past thirty years and wanted to talk to Giancana about his involvement in the CIA plan to kill Fidel Castro.  Johnny Roselli testified first and Sam was scheduled to go next but in May of 1975, but he fell ill with gallbladder problems. He flew to Houston for a cholecystectomy and then returned home to 1147 South Wenonah, Oak Park, where he was taken care of by his youngest daughter Francine.
On the night he was killed, Sam Giancana took an early nap. Later his daughter Francine and her husband, Jerry arrived. A few minutes later Butch Blasi and Chuckie English showed up. Outside a unit for the Chicago Police Intelligence unit was watching the house from across the street. They had a small party celebrating Sam’s return to good health.    At about ten the party broke up. Seeing the guests leave, the police car across the street drove over to up and coming hood Tony Spilotro’s house a few blocks away and waited for Spilotro to come home.  Someone returned and Giancana went to his finished basement.  About a half an hour after his guests left, Sam cooked the Italian sausage, escarole and cece beans that Francine had brought to over. A few minutes later Francine came back to the house at about 10:15 to retrieve her purse. On the way back out to the car, Francine noticed Butch Blasi returning to the house as well, but thought nothing of it.  Fifteen minutes later, at about 10:30 Joe DePersio called down the stairs to tell Sam that he was going to watch the Johnny Carson show on television and then go to bed. Did Sam need anything?
No, he replied, he was going to bed himself.  Giancana turned on one of his two favorite movies, both Sinatra films, The Man with the Golden Arm and the Manchurian candidate.   He walked over to the small stove to cook his cece beans when somebody put the 22 to the back of his head they shot him in the throat and mouth to show that they thought that he had been talking. The other bullets were put into his brain, fired as the shooter stood over Sam’s dead body.
The killer took Sam’s wallet out of his back pocket; he ruffled through it, left the credit cards and almost $1,500.00 in place, and then threw the wallet across the room.   The killer was somebody that Giancana trusted otherwise he never would have been allowed in the apartment.
Joe DePersio called down to Sam before he went to sleep for the night. There was no answer but the lights were on and he could smell the sausage burning on the stove and walked down stairs to find Giancana.
The murder weapon was found on the side of Thatcher Road, which led to River Forrest where Butch Blasi lived. The FBI reconstructed the scene. Based on the time that Giancana was killed, about 10:35, the killer’s car was headed down Thatcher Road records showed that a squad car was screaming up the road as well. The shooter panicked and tossed the murder weapon out the car window.
Butch Blasi was the popular suspect by everyone except FBI man Bill Roemer who suspected that although Blasi may have helped to set Giancana up for the killing, he didn’t actually pull the trigger.
His own men despised him. So ended the bloody reign that counted at least 79 known murders. The mob showed its contempt for Sam Giancana by staying away from his funeral.  Of the hundreds of wise guys that Giancana had gone up with and ruled over, only Butch Blasi and Chuckie English showed up for his funeral.

Gray Bob: A levee pimp and cohort of Colosimo, active in 1912.

Gilbert, Daniel: AKA Tubbo Daniel Gilbert crawled out of a Chicago slum called the Valley and grew to be one of the most politically powerful, and wealthiest lawmen in American history. A neglected child, Gilbert went to work as a wagon boy at age 11 at the busy train depot that once dominated the valley’s center. An ambitious young man, in 1913 Gilbert ran for, and won, a position as the Secretary of the Baggage and Parcel delivery union, local 725. It was an easy win. His opponent withdrew in the middle of the election, on Christmas night, after somebody shot him in the rear end.
He ruled over the local with brute force, fear and intimidation. During one wildcat strike, called by the membership without his authority Gilbert beat the striker’s leader so badly that he was indicted for assault with intent to kill. The indictment, of course, was later suspended with leave to reinstate. However, the records later disappeared from the criminal courts building. Gilbert served on the governing council of the very mobbed up Chicago Teamsters Union until 1917, when he was appointed, through political clout, to the Chicago Police force on April 6, the day the United States entered the First World War. While on the force, Gilbert pursued a separate career in union politics, keeping his position as the secretary treasurer of local 725. On the force, Tubbo earned a reputation as a brutal, thick necked cop, who was smart enough to surround himself with more capable and brighter underlings. He also engaged openly in city politics, and, before long, Gilbert was a political power in Cook County. As a result, his rise in the police department was unprecedented. After serving less then five years as a patrolman, he was promoted to the rank of sergeant and a year later he became a lieutenant. By 1926 he was a captain, and, from 1931 until December 5, 1932, he held the rank of supervising captain, when he was promoted to the States Attorney, or the District Attorney’s, chief investigator, a position he held for eighteen years. Most people in Chicago thought that it was only a matter of time before he was appointed chief of police. As the states attorney’s office, chief investigator, Gilbert was the head of his own private police force, which would eventually number over one hundred seasoned investigators, and, as he did in the unions, Tubbo ruled over his department with an iron fist. Once, during a city wide election, Tubbo learned that one of his investigators was a spy for Mayor Edward J. Kelly’s camp. Tubbo took the cop into his office, locked the door, and beat the man senseless with his fists. Charges were filed, but again they were dropped, and all records concerning the charge, disappeared. Around 1930, Tubbo needed money to finance his political ambitions and, as a result, he called a press conference and announced that the States Attorney would “look into the internal workings of the city’s unions and clean that business up.” Critics quickly noted that he never said he would close it down.
In November of 1936, Tubbo was questioned about his role in helping the Chicago Teamsters, still under the mobs control at that point, fix milk retail prices in Chicago.
The scandal also involved Dr. Herman Bundesen of the Chicago Board of Health, and officials of local 753 of the milk driver union. All of them, the indictment read, conspired to fix the amount of milk delivered in the city to squeeze out the smaller guys.
States Attorney Thomas Courtney, who had high political ambitions of his own, refused to allow Tubbo to resign over the scandal, or even to request his resignation, telling the press: “If many people feel that politics has entered into this,” Courtney said, “then I won’t disagree with that conclusion.” Of course, Gilbert and Courtney were close.
Once, in 1935, they were both accused of using the States Attorney’s Office to selectively harass a political leader named Harry Perry, who was also a city Alderman.
Perry had stated publicly that he feared for his life, and, on March 24, 1935, after Perry had filed a formal complaint against Courtney and Gilbert, he was driving home from a political rally on the South side under the protection of two Chicago police detectives. Suddenly, a dark sedan pulled up alongside Perry’s car and a pistol fired from the back seat let off eight rounds into Perry’s car, which swerved out of control and crashed.
Remarkably, no one was hurt but Perry withdrew his complaint against Gilbert and Courtney the next morning. In April of 1935, the mob almost had its own police chief, when Gilbert temporarily left his job in the States Attorney’s Office to take another job in the department, as commander of the uniformed patrol. This position placed him one step behind the chief of police. Interestingly enough, this job also placed Gilbert over the vice and gambling units. Nevertheless, in July of 1935, Gilbert stepped down from the uniform position and returned to the chief investigator’s post after disbanding the gambling squad. The fact that Gilbert was a mob flunky was reaffirmed in May of 1939, when Gilbert was seen, over a three-day weekend, at the Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs, Arkansas, with Frank Nitti. They were spotted in the hotel’s bar, and on the links, where Gilbert used gold-plated golf clubs that Nitti had given him as a present.
During all this time, Gilbert remained in the union business. By the fall of 1938, Gilbert controlled at least seven unions. He dictated who would, or would not, hold office, and, obtaining Gilbert’s approval was essential before union leaders began organizing drives.      
    When labor leaders conducted business without him, Gilbert never hesitated to have them arrested. Before the 1948 election, both candidates for the states attorney position were asked if they would keep Gilbert on if they won, and both said they would fire him.
But, the contest winner, John Boyle, reneged, and said that he would only fire Gilbert on Mayor Kennelly’s directive. That directive, of course, never came.
By 1950, most Chicago crime reporters considered William “Tubbo” Gilbert, now a Captain, not only to be the political boss of the Chicago Police Department, but also a full-fledged member of the Chicago crime syndicate, answering directly to Murray Humphreys. However, Gilbert’s career took a turn for the worse after he was nominated to be Cook County Sheriff, and was widely considered a shoo-in for the post.
The major issue in Gilbert’s campaign was gambling, and Gilbert swore, that if elected, he would close down all of the illegal gambling in Cook County within six months.
The Chicago Tribune, which had opposed Gilbert’s nomination from the start, published papers it had stored away since 1941, papers which Jake Guzak, the mob’s money man, had accidentally left in an oven when he moved out of an apartment.
Those records summarized the profits and loss of the gambling for the mob for one month and they said that under the monthly payoffs “Tub ... $4,000.” Gilbert denied the charges by explaining that his friends called him “Tubbo” and not Tub, so, by his logic, it couldn’t have been him. The newspapers, television and radio covered Gilbert’s ties to organized crime, but the voters didn’t seem to be listening. Tubbo Gilbert would win the election, hands down. Then Gilbert’s name came up during the Chicago hearings of the Kefauver Committee, and Tubbo was requested to testify before the committee. Ray Brennan, a renowned Chicago crime reporter said: “What Happened to make Dan Gilbert testify before the Kefauver committee was that Rudy Halley, Chief counsel and some other senate committee people were at the Morrison hotel the night before the Chicago hearings opened. Halley telephoned Gilbert at home after talking in private with Kefauver. Kefauver, a politically ambitious democrat, was aghast at the peril of annoying the all powerful Chicago democratic organization. Halley told Gilbert by phone, in effect ‘you are invited to testify at tomorrow’s hearings. You are not under a subpoena. You may accept this invitation, or you may decline.’ Of course Gilbert declined.
“I listened in on the conversation on an extension phone without Halley’s knowledge. As a result we carried a page one story and banner headlines saying Gilbert was afraid to testify. Dan couldn’t stand the heat from the Sun Times. He made a deal with the committee.” Dan Gilbert testified, for two hours, but his testimony was behind locked doors, a most unusual thing and the transcript was impounded.
Since it was just before the election and Kefauver was a good democrat, he agreed to the terms that Tubbo Gilbert had set up. They questioned Gilbert for two hours behind closed doors. When it was over, Estes Kefauver gave a briefing that left “more questions then answers.” Brennan tried everything he could to find out what had happened behind those closed doors, but was unsuccessful. He had more or less given up, and had retired to Nick’s Bar for a drink “when inspiration struck.” Brennan flew to Washington, learned the location of the committee stenographic service, and then, posing as a Senate staff member, he dropped by the service “to pick up a copy of some guy’s testimony.”
Remarkably, he was handed a complete copy of Gilbert’s testimony. Reading the testimony over in a Senate bathroom, Brennan found out that Gilbert acknowledged the charges of assault, with intent with intent to kill, against him in the 1940 election, leveled by Judge Oscar F. Nelson, who was running for the states attorney’s office against Courtney. The indictment was suspended and later disappeared from the police and court records. Gilbert said that it was true that his records from the police department were missing, and that he found that “suspect” and that he was a frequent guest of gangster Owney Madden in Hot springs. Gilbert also admitted that, while he was in office, justice in the states attorney office was on a “cash and carry basis.” Gilbert, whose wealth was estimated to be in the millions by the newspapers, told the committee the right figure was around $300,000. He said most of the money came from trading on the speculation market where he was once listed as the biggest trader on the Chicago grain market.
He admitted owning hundreds of thousands of bushels of wheat, which would eventually lead to his being hauled in for questioning, the federal government looking into manipulation of the grain on the Chicago Board of Trade. Gilbert also admitted that he owned 18,000 shares of Royal Crown Cola, extensive utility holdings, and to being “a gambler at heart” who gambled illegally while enforcing the law. The testimony also included Gilbert’s income tax records, which showed that he earned $7,310 in 1948 by wagering on football, baseball and prize fights and elections. When questioned about that, Gilbert bragged that the 1933 elections alone he made a $12,000 bet on Roosevelt and he boasted to the committee that he had bet on and won every election since 1921.
When asked where he placed his bets Gilbert named a gambling joint owned by John Mcdonald at 215 North LaSalle Street. “That is not legal, betting, is it Captain Gilbert?” a committee member asked. “Well, no, it is not legal, no,” Gilbert lied to the panel of lawyers. He also admitted that he had gambled in mob locations and that he gambled on everything and anything, baseball, football and even elections. The Kefauver committee secretly concluded that Tubbo Gilbert’s administration as Chicago’s top cop “was neglect of official duty and shocking indifference to violations of the law.”
The Sun Times printed the testimony, which both fascinated and appalled Cook County voters, who turned out in record numbers to vote against Gilbert. To add insult to injury, Brennan dubbed Gilbert “The World’s richest cop” the day before the elections and the name stuck. Gilbert’s defeat brought down most of the democratic ticket and handed the sheriff office to John “Two Gun” Babb, a Second World War hero who beat Gilbert by 400,000 votes. A few days later, Gilbert retired from the force and announced that he would take a position as chief of police at the Arlington & Washington race tracks, where his brother, Maurice, was a lieutenant. That was another mistake. Ray Brennan discovered that Maurice Gilbert had been out on sick leave from the Chicago police department since 1948, and had been drawing a steady paycheck from the department and the race track at the same time. Gilbert never held a grudge against Brennan for bringing him down, in fact, in one of Tubbo Gilbert’s last tirades against the Chicago press he jabbed his finger into a reporter’s chest and barked: “All of you’s are a pack of rat ... the only one of you’s who has any class at all, is Ray Brennan ... and he’s a rat too.”
Brennan understood the back-handed compliment. President Harry Truman was less forgiving. He threw a fit over the Democrats’ beating in Illinois, and Brennan was indicted for posing as a federal official to get Gilbert’s testimony, a charge that carried a six-year term. The case against him dragged on for three years before the Justice department ruled that he “no criminal intent as we generally understand it.”
After that, Gilbert packed up his millions and moved to California, where he said he planned to open a detective agency in Los Angles, however, a few years later, he suffered a massive heart attack and went into a comfortable semi retirement. He returned to Chicago in the early 1970s, confined to a wheelchair, his legacy forgotten. He died there in 1977.

Genaro, Johnny: 2136 Indiana Avenue. Brother of murdered gangster Jospeh “Joey Pep” Genaro, once and up and coming Capone gunman who some thought would one day rule the organization.   

Garnett, Frank: Born Garnitz. AKA Frankie Guzik’s son in law. Lived at 7525 Constance Avenue in Chicago. In the 1950s he was in the juke box distribution business in California with Guzik's brother-in-law, Louis Lipschultz, who worked out of Cook County. About 1948 Louis Lipschultz, according to the chief of police of Cicero, Ill., contacted him and offered him $100,000 to permit gambling to operate in Cicero. The offer was turned down. In 1936 Lipschultz pled guilty to income tax and was fined $500 and paid $7,000 in a compromise settlement. In the income tax hearing there it was claimed that Lipschultz then received a gross income of $107,111 from the Harlem Tavern in Stickney, Ill., the Stockdale Saloon in Forest View, and the old Hawthorne Kennel Club, which was known as a syndicate operation. He was a one time partner of Leahm Kelly, a Will county thug who dealt in juke boxes before he was unexplainably killed on October 13, 1946 in front of his home Joliet.  In 1950 he was, after a long search by federal agents, served a summons to appear before the Kefauver Committee in Chicago. On April 13, 1944 when the syndicate, probably led by Sam Giancana, kidnapped Jake Guzik (7240 Luella Street) and held him captive for ransom, Garnett was driving him. The couple had just left Willow Spring where Guzik had been arrested the day before on the technical charge of disturbing the peace. His lawyer, mob mouth piece Mike Brodkin had been with Guzik and Garnett at the arrangement that morning. Guzik and Garnett left the court at 11:00 and were spotted at 11:25 inside Freddie Restaurant asking direction to the Willow Spring police station. He then borrowed the phone to make a call to police but first called the home of Phil Katz (215 East Chestnut Street) Katz had been an owner of the Dome casino. Police later learned that Katz was in Army and Hymie Loudmouth Levine, (215 East Chestnut Street) a Capone Juice collector in the Loop, was living in the apartment. Garnett was heard whispering “Hymie! They snatched him (Jake Guzik) right out of the car. They took a shot at me but missed”   He then phoned the police reported that Guzik had been kidnapped. Guzik was freed a day later on April 15, probably after paying somewhere in the area of $25 to 100K for his safe release. “The whole thing” said Guzik “Is just a lot of newspaper notoriety “A lot of fuss about nothing. On the way back from Willow Springs, I ran into a couple of fellows who wanted to talk to me, so we went someplace and we talked for a while. Frankie (Garnett) is a pretty good kid but he’s pretty new in Chicago and he doesn’t know our ways. He said a couple of shots were fired but that isn’t so. I told him to get out of the car myself. So then he goes out and spreads all of that notoriety. There was no shot fired, no ransom demand, nothing”

 Glimco, Joey: Born Giuseppe Glielmi AKA Little Ceaser Chicago hood Joey Glimco took the fifth 152 times before the McClellan committee when it was in Chicago. When Glimco came before the committee again in Washington as a representative of the Cab driver locals, he refused to leave the locals books which he said he was sworn to keep in his sight at all ties.  To Glimco's surprise Robert Kennedy agreed telling the hood  "As you realize we'll want to keep these records overnight I have a arranged a bed for you to sleep on and the men’s rooms is halfway down the corridor there is also a cafeteria in the building so that you will be able to eat breakfast here as well" and left him in his chair Kennedy said "to keep Virgil"   When Kennedy returned an hour later Glimco was gone.  Kennedy called in several dozen Chicago Fulton street market operators who had complained that they were forced to pay tribute to Glimco under fear of death. Under oath, all of them admitted paying Glimco but said they gave him money because they just plain liked the surely hood that much.    When a case against Glimco was brought to trial Glimco took $124,000.00 from the taxi cab teamster union fund to pay his legal expenses.

Genna's: Gangster Leaders. Al Capone and Dion O’Bannon’s deadliest competitors were the Genna Brothers. In May of 1923, brother Angelo had met his fate a few days after his honeymoon, at the hands of O'Bannionite Bugs Moran.  Driving down a central street, Genna came across Moran and several other O'Bannionites who were driving in the opposite direction. Moran ordered the car turned around and chased Genna for a few miles, caught up to Genna's car and fired a volley of shotgun blasts into his head, killing him instantly. Three weeks later, Moran approached one of the Genna's bodyguards with an offer to set up two of Genna's most lethal gunmen, John Scalise and Albert Anselmi.
    In exchange for bribe, Moran wanted the bodyguard to lure the Italians to the corners of Sangamon and Congress Streets on June 13th at 9:00 A.M.   The bodyguard agreed to the set up but informed Scalise and Anselmi anyway.
On the morning of the 9th, Bugs Moran and "Schemer" Drucci waited in their car for the Italians to arrive, when suddenly a black limousine swung by their car and filled it with shotgun pellets, wounding both of the O'Bannionites, who returned fire, but were too shot up to give chase. 
 Instead, they crawled out of the car, limped to a nearby hospital where they stayed for several weeks recuperating from their wounds.
    Meanwhile, the drive-by limousine, which contained Genna gunmen Mike Genna at the wheel and Scalise and Anselmi on guns in the back seat, speeded down the street and almost sideswiped an unmarked police car carrying Irish American police detective Michael Conway, Rookie William Sweeny, officer Charles Walsh and another officer, Harold Olson.
    Recognizing Mike Genna, the policemen gave chase through the city streets at 70 miles an hour, finally overtaking the gangsters' limousine after it smashed into a telephone pole. The three gangsters hopped out of the car, shotguns in hand.
The squad car pulled up a few seconds later and detective Conway leaped out first and was cut down first. Next, the hoodlums killed Walsh and Olson, leaving only the rookie policeman, Sweeny, unwounded to shoot it out.    Sweeny covered himself behind the squad car and fired several shots at the gangsters who fired back and then fled across an empty field. Sweeny gave chase.
Anselmi and Scalise disappeared into a nearby alley, leaving their boss Mike Genna alone to shoot it out with the detective Sweeny.    Out of breath, Genna stopped and turned on the oncoming police and raised his shotgun and pulled the trigger only to find both barrels empty. Sweeny fired off a blast into Genna's leg and the bullet lodged in a main artery.    By now the area was flooded with dozens of policemen who found Genna hiding in the basement of a house he had broken into to elude the manhunt.
He had lost too much blood, an ambulance was called, the dying Genna placed inside. As they sped to the hospital, a guard lowered his face close to the gangster and asked if he was comfortable. Genna kicked him in the face, "Take that you son of a bitch!" He died a few minutes later. Anselmi and Scalise were arrested a short time later, trying to escape on a railroad car.    A few weeks later, Tony Genna was gunned down in a grocery store in an almost exact duplication of the Dion O'Bannion murder. As Tony shook the hand of an associate, someone came up behind him and shot him through the head.
    Tony and Mike Genna were buried together in Mount Carmel cemetery, Chicago's Boot Hill. When one policeman, sent to witness the burial noticed the Italians' grave site was only a few feet from Dion O’Bannon’s tomb, he said: "When judgment day comes and them three graves are opened, there'll be hell to pay in this cemetery."

Giancana, Antoinette: When the McClellan committee tried to subpoena Sam Giancana, he skipped town. In retaliation, on July 14, 1958, the FBI promised to subpoena Giancana’s daughter, Antoinette, noting that she was “Wacky” and had suffered three nervous breakdowns and tried to commit suicide. Giancana appeared before the committee several days later.
 According to Giancana, he was told that Joe Kennedy assured him that the U.S Marshals assigned to service the subpoena would never find him. But he was served his summons as he walked through the lobby of the Desert Inn.
 Wearing a wig, Giancana took the fifth 34 times reading the amendment off of a 3x5 card to every question Robert Kennedy put to him. At one point Bobby Kennedy childishly ripped into Giancana for laughing at the committees questions "I thought only little girls giggled Mr. Giancana"
  Later Giancana told his brother "sitting there, I couldn't help but laugh...
I was thinking about a night with his brother at the Cal Neva, (Frank Sinatra’s casino in Nevada) it was all so funny... I couldn't help it. What a bunch of fuckin hypocrites"
   At that point, so many Chicago mobsters did not appear before the committee claiming they “Forgot” FBI agents were posted at the homes of most of the organizations top bosses to ensure that they appeared.
   Tony Accardo strolled into the court room where the McClellan Committee was being held, sat before the Committee wearing dark glasses. With him was his lawyer H. Clifford Allder
    When Accardo entered the room Robert Kennedy said, loud enough for the room to hear "He's the big boy" Allder asked that the TV cameras be turned off but the request was denied. Accardo had even gone to court to stop Field enterprises, publishers of the Chicago Sun Times and ABC news from telecasting his appearance before the committee. In total the committee asked Accardo 172 questions and he refused to answer any one of them.

Gricione, George:  1114 North Ridgeland Ave. Oak Park. Mob bookie active in the 1940s

[1] His brother Tony (born 1919 resided at 829 North Lorel Ave.) worked for the film projectionists union in the 1950-1960s.  
[2] Willie Bioff testimony
[3] Just before he disappeared from 978 West 18th Place, Craver was involved in a growing financial scandal with banker Leon Marcus
[4]  Mafia Princess
[5] The restaurants owners, Alfred and James Meo had been friends of Paul Ricca's for years. Accardo picked up the habit of holding meeting there as well.

[6] Roemer
[7] Mafia Princess
[8]  FBI Giancana file
[9] Court Testimony
[10]  FBI file on Giancana
[11]  Roemer and FBI file on Giancana
[12] Roemer
[13] FBI field report
[14]  Roemer, Man Against the Mob
[15] FBI field report

No comments: