John William Tuohy lives in Washington DC

John Tuohy's History of Organized Crime in Chicago (D)

Donald, Mike: Donald, a gambler, was the king of the Chicago underworld following the great fire in 1871. It was Donald who organized the commercialized prostitution gambling and saloon into a compact political-criminal organization which made it virtually invulnerable for that period of 20 years. It was from this structure that the modern day outfit grew.
Dannenberg, Milton: 510 North Dearborn Street. A syndicate oddsmaker and handbook operator.
DeLordo, Anthony:  6914 South Marshfield Ave. A south side gangster and gambler active in the 1940s through the early 1960s
DeMuccio, Dominick: A 1950s syndicate gambler who helped take over the Ted Roe operations

Dans Cliff A Back policy operator 1950s syndicate gambler who helped take over the Ted Roe operations

Dolendi, Frank: Born 1918. Resided at 7125 Foster Ave. A nephew of Frank Nitti, he was employed by the projectionist union in 1959.  

Demory, Anthony: (Sometimes spelled De Mory) A half brother of one time Capone killer Machine Gun Jack McGurn. He was shot dead 16 days after gangsters killed McGurn On Feburary 14, 1936. It is not true that Boss Paul Ricca, who commanded at least 200 gunmen, feared revenge from Demory for killing his half brother. Rather, Ricca had also warned Demory about dealing drugs to Chicago’s hip set. His murder, like the murder of his brother, was a lesson killing
Di Carle, Joe:  AKA Joey De Carlo. A Florida based hood who, in the 1950s, was tied into Chicago through Charlie Fischetti. His other contacts and partners in the syndicate included Joe Massei of Detroit and Joe Adonis of New Jersey. Di Carle operated out of the Wofford Hotel in Miami Beach. Originally out of Buffalo, Di Carle was a principle lieutenant in the St. Louis based Jack Licovoli mob.
DeMonte, Frank: Active in the 1980s, he was with Angelo LaPietra crew and worked primarily as a juice collector.

DiForti James: A mob financier who put up cash for juice operators in the 1970s through the 1980s.  

David Brothers: Mike and Bob, Chicago Heights gamblers and casino managers active in the 1960s.

DeVito, Anthony. Born 1913. 1523 Flournoy Street. A member of the 42 Gang. On July 6, 1933, while out of bond for car theft, DeVito managed to get into a car chase with police. (He was suspected of robbing visitors to the Worlds Fair) He crashed at Polk and Ashland Avenue, slamming to a stop so fast that he was thrown through the cars windshield. Police found two sawed-off shotguns in his car. 

Damron, Larry Wright: In the late 1960s, Damron was a partner with the Spilotro brothers in a company that manufactured fake credit cards. In 1982, they later operated an off track betting palor in Willow Spring Ill. Joe Marren was also involved in the enterprise

Delany, Bert: In charge of Capone’s beer production

De Grazio, Rosso, AKA Rocco De Grasse, AKA Rocco De Grazia. An old friend of Anthony Accardo, DeGrazio was a part time narcotics dealer, who, together with his brother Andy AKA Andy Boy, worked out of  the Lumber Gardens at 101 North Twenty-fifth Street, Melrose Park, Illinois a massive casino. Busy was so good, they actually built an addition to the place in the early 1950s. In 1931 Rocco De Grazio was the leader of the Capone organization in the north and west suburban sections and fought the Touhy gang for control of the labor unions from 1930-1933.
   In 1932, Rocco, Andy, and Nick De Grazia were in control of slot machines for the syndicate in the western suburbs.
  The brothers were questioned in the September 25, 1932 shooting death of a doorman at a road house located on Lake Street west of Mannheim Road, where the owner would not allow slot machines in his place.
   In 1935 he was convicted of income-tax evasion when he admitted he was operating 18 handbooks, many of which were in Melrose Park, Ill., and he paid $1,200 per month for police protection. At the time he was living at  1049 North Elwood Avenue, Oak Park Illinois. In 1946 Rocco De Grazio was believed to have an interest in Rocco Fischetti's Vernon Country Club, a lavish gambling establishment at Deerfield, Ill. and in the 1960s was given control of  the syndicate's football pool operations in Cook County. By that time he was operating out of the Casa Madrid Restaurant inside Chicago, which, starting in 1964, was bugged by the FBI.

Drucci Vincent AKA The Schemer, Ludovico Di Ambrosio, Victor D'Ambrosio Born Vittorio D'Ambrosio in 1898 Died April 4, 1927. Born 1898 died April 4 1927Vincent "The Schemer" Drucci, who may have been born under the name DiAmbrosio, served two years in the navy during World War I and receiving an honorable discharge.  Coming home from war, he joined with other North Side gang then under Dion O’Bannon’s control.
     After O’Bannion was murdered on Nov. 10, Drucci fell into a leadership position. One of his first acts was to order the drive by shooting of Capone’s car on January 12, 1925. The attack was so vicious that Capone ordered a $30,000 bulletproof Cadillac as protection.  A few days later, Weiss, Drucci and Moran shot and seriously wounded Johnny Torrio as he arrived home from an afternoon of shopping with his wife.
   Between May and November of 1925, Drucci was a suspect in three murders including Angelo Genna, shot gunned to death, Tony Genna,
the third Genna bother to die within 44 days and the November 13 murders of gunmen "Samoots" Amatuna in a barbershop.
   In at least one incident during that time, Drucci was drawn into a battle with Genna gunmen Scalise and Anselmi, who riddled Drucci’s
Getaway car slightly wounding Drucci.
    On August 10, 1926 Drucci and Hymie Weiss walked towards Chicago’s Standard Oil Building for a scheduled meeting with Morris Eller, a sanitary district trustee and the political boss of the 20th Ward. As Drucci and Weiss began to cross at Michigan and Ninth Streets, an car with three gunmen pulled up and began shooting at the two.
The Northsiders returned fire and in all, 30 shots were fired, only one bullet finding a target, a bystander.
    Weiss managed to escape before police arrived. Drucci leaped onto the running board of a passing car shouting at the driver "Take me away, and make it snappy," but police surrounded the car and arrested Drucci.
   The North Siders retaliated with a spectacular drive by shooting
At the Hawthorne Inn in Cicero on the afternoon of September 20.
Hymie Weiss, leading a parade of at least ten cars, sprayed the place with over a thousand bullets, hoping to kill Capone. Remarkably, they missed.
   Capone struck back. On October 11, ambushing and killing O’Bannion thug Hymie Weiss in front of the Holy Name Cathedral.
During the shooting ambush, one innocent citizen was killed and another three were wounded.
    The public was outraged by the murders and the public shooting
And was calling for a crackdown on the hoods. Capone called for a city wide peace conference at the Hotel Sherman where a five point plan was drawn up and agreed to by the various gangs operating in the city. It worked, or at least it did for 70 days passed.    With peace filling the underworld, the hoodlums centered their attention on the upcoming mayoral election pitting incumbent mayor William E. Dever against former Mayor William Hale "Big Bill" Thompson.
  On election day, Capone army of thugs were chased off of the streets in an effort to prevent the violence that marred previous election days. known hoods were picked up on sight by roving bands of Chicago police and the Illinois National Guard was on standby.
   One election day eve,  Drucci and several of his thugs kidnapping Alderman Dorsey Crowe, a Dever supporter. The night before, they had knocked out a watchman and ransacked Crowe’s office.
   On Monday, a squad of policemen spotted Drucci, Henry Finkelstein and Albert Single on the streets. The cops searched the three men and found a 45 automatic pistol on Drucci and arrested him and held the other two for questioning.  Four policemen, including Patrolman Dan Healy and a lieutenant, were assigned to take the trio to the Criminal Courts Building where Green was waiting.
    As they got into the squad cars, Healy and Drucci got into an argument because Drucci objected to Healy grabbing his arm. Drucci called Healy a name and Healy punched struck Drucci in the back of his head, pulled his service revolver and said, "Call me that again and I’ll let you have it."
   According to Healy’s statement Drucci continued to threaten him saying, "I’ll get you, I’ll wait on your doorstep for you." When told to shut up, Drucci responded, "Go on you kid copper, I’ll fix you for this. Take your gun off and I’ll kick hell out of you." And then claimed that
Drucci pinched him in the face and shouted, "I’ll take you and your tool (gun)." And grabbed for the patrolman’s pistol. Healy  pulled his revolver and fired four times hitting Drucci with three shots.
    Henry Finkelstein, one of Drucci’s men said that Healy struck Drucci first. A scuffle began in the car and the driver pulled to a stop. One police officer exited the car, followed by Healy who abruptly stopped, turned on the running board and shot Drucci who was sitting with his hands on his lap. One way or the other, Drucci was shot in the left arm, right leg, and abdomen. He died on route to the hospital.
   Drucci’s attorney rushed to see Chief of Detectives William Shoemaker, demanding that Healy be arrested for murder. The chief replied "Arrest him? Hell We’re thinking about giving medal was being g him a medal."
   On April 7, Drucci’s $10,000, surrounded by $30,000 in flowers, flag draped, aluminum and silver casket lay in the Sbarbaro funeral home, the place for Chicago’s hoods to be waked. 
    The following day a crowd estimated at 1,000 followed the hearse, draped in an American flag to Mount Carmel Cemetery. There was a 21 gun salute by the honor guard, a bugler played taps and it was over.  Drucci’s wife was left with $40,000 in the estate. A substantial fortune for the time.

De Biase John I.  AKA Johnny Bananas, a mob run political boss of the Twenty-eighth Ward, he answered to Tough Tony Capezio

Dispensa Mario: Born 1939. 3218 South Lowe Ave. A loan shark, Dispensa once collected $1,000 on a $200 loan made to a newspaper route distributor.(After the driver was beaten twice)  Dispensa worked Sam Gallo (1840 Long Ave) On October 6, 1964, Dispensa was arrested during a fist fight between Chicago police and neighborhood thugs who had gathered outside an apartment house to protest against two Black families that had moved into the building.(Mobster Ronnie Jarret was also arrested) On August 4, 1971 Dispensa and Anthony Rocco (A one time Chicago cop who was fired from the force for offering to return a suspects gun for a fee) were severely burned after they torched a drive in restaurant, the Hut Drive In at 15906 South Mobile Ave. in Oak Forest. The Drive in was owned by Bruno Bertucci, a one time real estate investor with James “The Bomber” Belcastro.  In 1951 Bertucci was convicted of stealing a truck. Convicted with him was Joey DeCaro. A year later he was arrested with James Lapietra in a bungled burglary

De Monti. Anthony AKA Tony Mack. In the 1950s De Monti was a power in the Chicago Avenue District and worked under Little Cesar DiVarco. He worked out of a casino at 1218 North Clark Street. 

D’Amico, Marco: Born 1937. A self proclaimed bricklayer by trade and West side boss for the Outfit. He was arrested at age 21 in June of 1958 for gambling, he was fined $50 plus court costs. On January 10, 1976, he was pinched again for patronizing an illegal card game. In 1978, he was locked up for street fighting at Oak and Rush Street in Chicago and again in1980 for aggravated battery. Along the way there were arrests for DWI in 1983 and 1989 and for battery and resisting arrest in 1983.
  D’Amico was thought to be a  protégé of boss Joe Andriacci and John DiFronzo, then the bosses of  the Elmwood Park Crew while Joey Lombardo was in jail. Most observers believed that D’Amico became the second in command over the crew.  As a side business, he opened Marco’s III, a hot-dog stand located at Fullerton & Austin in Chicago and had wise guys manage it for him.
   Otherwise soft spoken,  D'Amico had been married to the same woman for 35 years and by all reports was a devoted father tho their four daughters. He was said to have visited Skid Row dressed as Santa Claus, sponsored youth baseball teams, had a restaurant he operated give free food to poor children and anonymously left boxes of basketballs at playgrounds. On the other hand, in 1986, the Chicago Police Department Organized Crime Division arrested six people involved in sports gambling who were in possession of 10 kilos of cocaine. Also recovered was $77,425.00 in cash, some handguns, and $455,000 in wagers. It marked the first time that illegal drugs were found in an outfit-owned sports wire room. The cops suspect that the cocaine came to Chicago from Columbia, through Florida, and was to be distributed by D’Amico’s group, thus doing away with the myth that the Chicago mob has never been involved in narcotics peddling. D’Amico’s crew is also suspected of having vast investments in overseas operation that manufactures and distributes video poker machines
D’Amico’s gambling operation was active in the suburbs of Elmwood Park, Arlington Heights, Franklin Park, River Grove, Niles, Forest Park, Harwood Heights, and in Chicago.
  In the summer of 1989, Robert  Cooley tipped D’Amico off to a high stakes card game scheduled t be played outside of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. The take from the game was expected to be $1 million dollars. Cooley, a former Chicago cop, met D’Amico when he was running his own high stakes poker game and book making operation. D’Amico and Cooley became partners of sorts, however D’Amico still took $2,000 a month in street taxes from the lawyer even though Cooley placed in excess of $1.3 million in bets with the mobster. At the same time, Cooley was the D’Amico crew’s in house lawyer and mob fix-it man. By his own estimate Cooley said he bribed, on behalf of the mob, at least 29 judges as well as assistant state's attorneys, public defenders, sheriff's deputies, police officers, court clerks, assistant corporation counsels and aldermen.
   For setting the game up,  Cooley was to receive a 20% cut of the take but as Cooley probably knew, the game was a fake, the card players were going ot be highly armed FBI agents.  D’Amico brought in  Robert Abbinanti, (Abbinanti’s brother was married to Marco’s daughter.) told him about the game and directed him to find  shotguns and a .22 caliber handgun equipped with a silencer and brings it with him to Wisconsin. The hoods were about to raid the game when they were waved off  by a look out who had spotted several local police cars in the area. 
   Michael J. Coffey was into D’Amico’s loan sharks for $18,000. He couldn’t make the payments nor could he make the weekly interest rate, 5% on the principle. In June of 1989 Joe DiFronzo, the brother of supposed Chicago mob boss John “No Nose” DiFronzo, came to Coffey and told him he could work off the debt by growing marijuana for the mob. Without much choice in the matter, Coffey readily agreed to turn the basement of his sprawling $650,000, 15-room colonial-style home into the largest indoor marijuana production plant in of Illinois. The 16,000 plants were controlled by an expensive and elaborate irrigation control system and hydroponic growing lights.
  But what seemed like a brain storm for easy money turned into a nightmare that cost
Joey DiFronzo more than $90,000 in cash. The problem was that Coffey, who knew nothing about growing marijuana, grew an entire batch of male plants, which was virtually worthless. So they tried a second harvest. This time Coffey killed of the plants with low humidity which turned them into moldy piles.  DiFronzo decided to upgrade the plants growing warehouse by upgrading with extra bright lights that were wired into the ceiling and had the walls covered with a reflective foil to direct the artificial lighting toward the plants nurturing and cultivation.
  DiFronzo demanded results but gave Coffey an additional $10,000 to fly to Florida to purchase another crop of marijuana cuttings .Finally, in April 1991, Coffey delivered
A salable crop of marijuana and delivered about 90 pounds to a seller named Teddy Kotsovos. But by then,  DiFronzo, wanted on a dozen federal charges unrelated to the dope growing business, went on the lam so Coffey continued the business without him, sublet the care of the growing operation to people who knew the business and for the next two and half years concentrated on selling the grass to the mob who in turn resold it.
   The U.S. Attorney’s Office, the Drug Enforcement Agency, the F.B.I., the I.R.S. and the Chicago Police Department joined forces to close down Coffey’s operation and in a matter of months,  Coffey and eleven others were arrested.
   During the investigation,  Robert Girardi of 1526 Euclid Ave. in suburban Berwyn, Illinois,  a member of a special federal grand jury investigating organized crime decided to sell out his favors to the mob. Girardi, a divorced father of three girls, was broke, living on $100 a week with $40 in his pocket when he decided to leak details of several secret federal prosecutions to Richard Gelsomino, who was charged in the marijuana operation.  Apparently Girardi, a grocery store clerk, had known Gelsomino for years and contacted him about the case. The two met in Harlem Avenue restaurant for over a year where Girardi detailed everything he had learned as a member of the Grand jury and Gelsomino took notes on napkins. Aside from leaking information on the marijuana case, he also filled Gelsomino in on other unrelated cases involving D’Amico and John DiFronzo.
  On January 5, 1994, working on a tip that Girardi was crooked, undercover FBI agent John Bonino, who was posing as a mobster, met Girardi outside the Jedi Garden restaurant in North Riverside Illinois four days before Christmas. After Bonino paid Girardi $1,000 for a promise to hand over grand jury secrets, Girardi told the agent that he planned to use the money for Christmas presents and bookmakers, t whom he owed $25,000, would have to wait until he got more money. He was arrested on the spot.  Gelsomino, faced with the facts that he had been caught, turned over his notes to the FBI and agreed to help in their investigation.
   Coffey, who had two prior federal narcotics convictions knew that if he was convicted of a third he would be put away for life and agreed to cooperate with the government in a broad-based investigation that linked D’Amico to the drug operation.
  Richard Lantini a former Stone Park Police officer and a juice collector for D'Amico's crew, also testified for the state, but only after he was sentenced to ten years in prison for his role in the marijuana scam. He said that he tailored his testimony at the marijuana trial to protect D'Amico's role as a financier of the operation, that he was Coffey’s connection to the outfit and went on to link D’Amico to four attempted murders, extensive bookmaking operations, and criminal assault.
   In mid November of 1994, with the five-year statute of limitations about to expire, the government indicted D'Amico's for planning to rob the poker game, operating sports bookmaking and poker businesses, using extortion to collect gambling debts and "juice" loans and conspiring to commit racketeering. Indicted with him was Bobby Abbinanti, a truck driver for the city Streets and Sanitation Department, who was related to D'Amico by marriage; Roland Ricky Borelli, a former Chicago police officer who originally introduced Cooley to D’Amico when they were on the force, and Anthony Dote, D'Amico's top aide. Abbinanti was indicted for bringing to rob the game. Other members of the crew that were charged in the indictment included Dote’s brother Carl, Frank “The Gunner” Catapano, Frank “Frankenstein”  Maranto, Robert “The Hippo” Scutkowski,  and William “Louie” Tenuta.
  D’Amico, described as a “danger to society” by government prosecutors, was denied bail Robert Cooley, the mob lawyer turned informant, was set to testify against him. With no other choice, so D'Amico pleaded guilty to racketeering conspiracy for operating a sports bookmaking business and high-stakes poker games from 1978 through 1992. He also admitted using extortion to collect juice loans and street taxes and conspiring to rob a lucrative poker game near Lake Geneva,1989. He also admitted that he forced Cooley to pay $2,000 a month in protection so he could operate as a bookmaker without interference from the mob. He also accepted more than $1.3 million in illegal bets from Cooley. (and was assessed a weekly 2% interest fee for “juice” loans made to him totaling $80,000. ) If the government unleashed Cooley on D’Amico, he would lose his case for sure and the sentence could be harsh.  He was sentenced to 12 years and 3 months in prison. Anthony Dote, D’Amico’s second in command, was sentenced to 4 years and 3 months in prison

De Lordo, Anthony: A Chicago hood active in the 1950s, he was tied into the mobs operations in Florida.  James Egan named De Lordo as a payoff man in the gang killing of Martin (Sonny Boy) Quirk, on September 18, 1943

Dobkin, Edward M.: A major mob gambler in the 1940s and 1950s. His office was located at 325 West Madison Street, Chicago. In 1931 he testified that when business was good he handled from $25,000 to $50,000 a day in bets.

DeStefano Rocco: (Not the attorney for Jim Colosimo) A long time hood who started with the Capone mob and remained active until the late 1950s. He worked in the whole sale liquor and tobacco business.

Daddano Willie AKA Potatoes, was a five foot five, edgy, highly placed, influential and powerful member of the Chicago mob. He crawled out of slum with a group of his childhood friends whose names would become legendary in the underworld, the Caifano’s, Milwaukee Phil Aldersio, Chuckie Nicoletti, Butch English and Fifi Buccieri.
     After a 1945 conviction for burglary (He was sentenced to 14 years and served only one) Daddano was back on the streets of Chicago as part of the mob invasion force that shot, kicked and stabbed its way into the Black rackets and in the early 1950s teamed up with Lenny Patrick to earn a fortune in the vending business. He later expanded his interests into the low end of the industry, vice.   In his capacity as boss of Will and DuPage County, he also had a small interest in the suburban based casino, the Villa Venice and held front row seats for the Sinatra/Rat pack performance there in 1962, sitting in the front row with Sam Giancana, Phil Aldersio, The Monk Allegretti, Joe Fischetti, and Marshal Caifano. The Vila Venice later burned down in a case of mysterious combustion.
     According to the FBI, he was Sam Giancana's hit man of choice and far more ruthless then his nick name let on. In fact, his name had been dredged up several times as a possible candidate to lead the Chicago outfit after Teets Battaglia died, but Tony Accardo nixed the idea, having little faith in Willie Potatoes leadership abilities
     Daddano found his place in mob history through a juice collector who worked under him, William "Action" Jackson. In 1961. Jackson, was kidnapped off of a Chicago street when word went out that he was a snitch. (He wasn't)
     The three hundred and twenty-five pound Jackson was taken to a meat rendering plant on the South side, hung, through his rectum, on a meat hook, had his knees smashed with a hammer and a cattle prod used on his genitals and was stabbed with an ice pick.
     He was left on the hook for three days until he finally died of heart failure. His mangled body was later found in the trunk of his Cadillac on Wacker Drive.
     In the mid 1960s, he led the outfit into control over Chicago's garbage industry with Chuckie English.
       Daddano who lived on North Riverside Drive, enjoyed a reputation as a jealous husband and a man who liked the company of platinum blondes, spent the last part of his criminal career running a band of free wheeling independent thieves, out of a suburban bowling alley that he owned and used as his headquarters.
     Daddano and six members of that crew, robbed a savings and loan in Franklin Park, Illinois, of $43,000 Several days later, thanks to an informant, the men, including Daddano were rounded up by the FBI. Once they were released, Daddano forced everyone on the team to take a lie detector test. One man named Guy Mendola failed. He was shot through the head outside of his home in August of 1964.
     In October of 1964 prosecutors were able to convict Daddano along with Richard Cain and three others, of the robbery. Daddano was sentenced to 15 years in 1968, along with another political insider, Richard Cain. Daddano died in prison of heart failure
Daddano William Sr. (1912-September 9, 1975), also known as William Russo or as Willie Potatoes, was a top enforcer for the Chicago crime syndicate, also known as the "Chicago Outfit".
Born in Chicago, Illinois in 1912, Daddano was a member of the Forty-Two Gang, a local street gang based on West Side neighborhood of Maxwell Street, where he was noticed by Chicago Outfit leaders Sam Giancana and Sam Battaglia. By 1936 Daddano had already accumulated an extensive criminal record, having been arrested on numerous charges, including nine counts of bank robbery, larceny, and auto theft.
In 1944 Daddano was arrested for an attempted West Side robbery of three million war ration stamps. While the robbery was suspected to have been backed by the Chicago Outfit, Daddano refused to name his accomplices. Following the end of World War II Daddano had become a leading enforcer for the Chicago Outfit, suspected in over twenty murders, and controlling illegal gambling operations in the Chicago suburbs of Cicero, Berwyn, and DuPage County.
Daddano was arrested in May 1966 for hijacking $1,000,000 silver bullion but was later acquitted. Daddano was later arrested by an FBI Task Force led by Vincent Inserra for conspiracy to rob Franklin Park Bank, planned by Daddano six years earlier, and sentenced to fifteen years imprisonment at Marion, Illinois federal penitentiary, where he died on September 9, 1975.

D'Antonio, James J. AKA Jimmy Boy Born 1928 Died December 15, 1993.  A convicted fur thief, in the 1980s D’Antonio was considered the best Wheelman, or driver in the Chicago mob. A reputed member of the Grand Avenue Crew. Police believed that he acted as the Outfits Underboss or at the least, a power in Lombardo’s crew.
D’Antonio came to police attention as a jewel, cartage and fur thief in the 1950s. In 1963, he was sent to prison for stealing television sets from a Chicago trucking company. By the mid-1960s, his police file listed 84 arrests. During his first chase by police, he clocked speeds of up to 100 miles an hour through the streets of Glencoe. The chase ended when D’Antonio slammed into a light pole. In the 1980s, as Lombardo’s driver, he would lose police tails by driving in reverse at high speeds in a souped-up Pontiac. In one reverse driving chase through the streets of Chicago, he was finally stopped by a police barricade. D’Antonio leaped out of his car and announced that he was “The winner” since his tires were cool to the touch and the tires of the police cars that had been chasing him were hot.  He was a noted cook of Italian cuisine in his social club, which was a Grand Avenue storefront near Noble Street. In 1993, D'Antonio slammed his car into a bridge abutment on the Kennedy Expressway and died a month later of his injuries. He apparently suffered a stroke while driving.

DeRiggi Louis: Born 1926. 3614 Grand Ave. A deserter from the US Army, in 1945 DeRiggi and Bobby Paglia, then recently discharged from the US Army, were chased across the city of Chicago by police in a wild and dangerous car chase after the two tried to rob a bank,. They were caught when police shot DeRiggi.  By 1969, DeRiggi was a syndicate juice collector and labor terrorist 

Daddino Anthony AKA Jeeps Born 1930. Daddino was arrested and convicted in 1963 after he was stopped while driving a truckload of stolen cigarettes.  Frankie Schweihs and Daddino took turns  collecting from William "Red" Wemette, who operated the Chicago Old Town Video, 1345 N. Wells Street, a porn film store, out of $1,100 a month.
    Wemette  had been paying protection for years. First to Joey Lombardo, but after
Lombardo went to prison in 1982,  Wemette passed into the hands of Louis Eboli, the son of a ranking New York mobster who had moved to the Midwest and became an Oak Brook neighbor and confidant of Joe Ferriola. Daddino worked for Eboli. When
Eboli died of cancer in 1987, Wemette’s collection was taken over by Michael Glitta, who worked for Vincent Solano, boss of the mob's North Side street crew. One day
Wemette asked if someone would take Eboli's place and Schweihs said "No one takes Louie's (Eboli’s) place. You're talking to the boss right here. Louie was my partner. . . . Very few people know that. Louis was not my boss, OK? I'm trying to tell ya, so you know. I very seldom come out of the woodwork with anyone."
  With Wemette's permission, in the spring of 1987,the FBI taped and videotaped 17 meetings between Wemette and Schweihs in Wemette's Wells Street apartment over a 15-month period. Each time Daddino or Schweihs came to collect, he would activate the equipment as he opened his apartment door
   Luckily, between Schweihs and Daddino, Schweihs was the more talkative of the two hoods. While FBI tapes rolled recording his every word, the German told Wemette about his plans to take over another nearby porn business, the Bijou Theater, 1349 N. Wells Street, a Gay porn center which was owned by Steven Toushin, whom Schweihs predicted was about to "have a bad accident."  He bragged that the mob had connections in the movie industry in California that give mob controlled firm’s direct access to the latest in X-rated films and videotapes. He also confessed that often times, one street crew doesn't always know what another is doing. As an example Schweihs said, his plan to take over the Bijou was delayed while he tried to learn if the porn theater was already controlled by another mob faction. He boasted of having placed an unnamed deputy in the Cook County sheriff's office. However, Schweihs also said he was able to learn if anyone was talking to federal agents, although that was obviously a lie. He was upset, he said one day, by the discovery of two bodies in a so-called "mob burial ground" in Du Page County Illinois and said he had moved from Chicago's Near North Side to Lombard, in Du Page County, because he learned he was the target of a federal investigation. When the bodies were discovered in Du Page he complained that "I've gone from the frying pan into the fire." Another day, in an off handed fashion, Schweihs is heard telling Wemette that he will be away for a while because he has go out of town on a hit-a mob term for killing someone. "I got a fucking hit. I gotta go somewhere," and then dropped strong hints that he murdered former porn movie operators Paul Gonsky and Patsy Ricciardi.
Gonsky was gunned down in a parking lot owned by Schweihs in 1976 and Patsy Ricciardi’s body was found stuffed in the trunk of a stolen car. Gonsky, Schweihs said
“Had an accident in my shed” (The office where the lot tickets were taken) At the time Schweihs lived next door to the lot.  Toushin, the gay porn operator was Gonsky’s business partner.
   As for Ricciardi, former owner of the Admiral Theater, 3936 W. Lawrence Ave., a massive old porn palace,  Schweihs told Wemette that in 1985 he picked up Ricciardi at a motel near where Ricciardi was last seen alive and had taken him for a ride in a "smoker," a mob term for a stolen car. (Schweihs is also a suspect in the murder of loan shark collector Alan Rosenberg,  and the 1962 murder of a young manicurist name Eugenia Pappas who body was found in the Chicago River with a gunshot wound to the chest. She was thought to be dating Schweihs but broke it off at her family’s request)
   On October 25, 1989, Mario Rainone, a  35-year-old money collector, burglar and mob enforcer from Cicero was told by a "well-known upper-level Chicago Outfit figure" that he was to kill Anthony Daddino because the mob had come to believe that Daddino was a either already informing to the government or planned to flip over to the governments side after he was sentenced in the porn shop extortion case. Rainone was given a hand-held radio with instructions to call the mob boss when he found Daddino and tell them where he and Daddino were. Rainone became suspicions and began to wonder of he and Daddino were the targets for the hit. But he drove to Rosemont Illinois and found
Daddino, and, to his surprise two other mobsters right on his trail. "When he saw them, the two men immediately attempted to hide themselves," an FBI agent said. Rainone decided then and there that he was going to be killed as well. He sped home, collected his 
Family, called the FBI and said "Come and get me."
    Red Wemette appeared in court and told the judge how he had paid the mob for 14 years and that he had paid Daddino and Schweihs a total of $19,800. In Feburary of 1990, Schweihs was sentenced to 13 years in prison. Daddino was given three years, fined $10,000, and ordered to pay the cost of his imprisonment ($43,000 total) and make restitution to Red" Wemette, including $7,700 that will be passed on to repay the FBI for its cost of conducting the investigation. He would also have to pay for supervision on parole, about  $5,500.
  Rosemont Illinois Mayor Don Stephans, who for decades denied he was owned by the mob, wrote to the judge in Daddino’s case asking for and later, when he was released from prison, offered him a job as well, as a Rosemont building inspector. 

DeGeorge Mary:  A brothel madam in the Levee arrested for pandering underage girls for vice on august 13 1912, she fled Chicago to avoid conviction

D'Andrea Anthony. D’Andrea was an early member of the Chicago branch of the Unione Siciliana. He was convicted of counterfeiting in 1902 and released by the Theodore Roosevelt administration after serving just 13 months. He stayed involved in Unione affairs and in local politics until his murder in 1921. during the early morning hours while returning from a card game on May 12, 1921. Mike Merlo took over.

D’Andrea Phil   D’Andrea became Chicago's Unione president in 1934, when the organization was in a decline. He was one of a group of Chicago crime leaders charged with extortion in the show business industry in 1943.

 Dauber, William E. AKA Billy Born June 30, 1935 Died July 2, 1980.   In an underworld filled with frightening people, Billy Dauber was considered the coldest killer of them all. He could smile at a person one moment and murder them the next, with no remorse. Gangsters avoided him and the cops feared his mental instability.  
   A southerner by way of Appalachia, Dauber made his way into the Outfit under the tutelage James "Jimmy the Bomber" Catuara, a vice czar on the Southside of Chicago
When Catuara was locked in a war with Steven Ostrowski for control of Chicago’s
lucrative chop shop operations staring in 969, he was credited with murdering at least twenty men, maybe more. Catuara ended the war by bringing Albert Tocco who murdered Ostrowski. He was also questioned in the murder of another chop shop operator named Richie Ferraro, and hoodlums Dino Valente, August Maniaci, and mob enforcer Sam Annerino. During the war, Billy Dauber proved his worth to Catuara and soon became his right hand man.  But in 1973, Dauber was convicted of mail fraud and the interstate transportation of a stolen car used in an unsolved murder and sent to prison. Released in 1976, instead of joining back Jimmy Catuara, Dauber signed up as an enforcer with Albert Caesar Tocco who was pushing Catuara out of business.
  On the night of July 28, 1978, Jimmy the Bomber was gunned down as he walked to his fire engine red Cadillac at Hubbard and Ogden Avenue in Chicago. It was one of 14 unsolved murders linked to the outfits take over the chop business. 
   Dauber, a hothead with a quick draw, started to concentrate on muscling his way into gambling and nightclub operations In the south end of Cook County, while  at the same time, corning the market on chop shops in the outer portions of the county in  a partnership with Albert Tocco who was then the South Suburban rackets boss.
Albert Caesar Tocco, who died in prison in 2005, was a ruthless gangster who demanded and almost always got, a cut from every vice operator south of 95th Street. From his headquarters in suburban Chicago Heights, he ruled over gambling, prostitution and chop shops from Calumet City south to Kankakee, from Joliet over the Indiana border to Valparaiso.
    Billy Dauber was also busy building his own criminal empire inside Tocco’s territory.
He declared war on every junk yard in the area that were moon lighting as chop shops, and their were dozens of them.
   Charlotte Dauber, Billy’s wife was attractive and street smart but she complained endlessly and loudly about her husband’s bosses, Butch Petrocelli and Jerry Scalise that they didn’t appreciate her husband’s skills and abilities and how they needed to be replaced. Adding to the tension of Charlotte public complaining and Billy’s insatiable quest for power  was the fact that several indictments had torn into the crew and virtually everyone in the mob had come to believe that the Daubers were government informants.  Worse, Dauber was running his own rackets and no longer bothering to pay his street taxes on the money he made. It turned out the mobsters suspicions were right, Dauber was in fact cooperating with the government since 1979 when he was arrested on the   cocaine and gun charges.
“There was a discussion (between the hit team that would kill the Daubers) recalled FBI agent Jack O’Rourke “that the mob bosses had ordered that they be hit as soon as possible. They suspected Dauber was cooperating with [the Bureau of] Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, which he was, actually. They said they had to get them right now."
   Jerry Scarpelli and Butch Petrocelli assigned James "Duke" Basile to trail the Daubers and take of the preparations the hit team would need to strike. (Basile, was later implicated in a bizarre armed robbery at the Balmoral Race Track in suburban Crete) But watch and follow was all he did with the Daubers  "Dukie” Said Scarpelli “doesn't have the balls to kill anybody,"  Although the murder was planned down to the last detail, no one knew when or where it would take place until Jerry Scalise was visiting Dauber’s lawyer and noticed on the secretary's agenda book that the Daubers were set to appear in Will County court on July 2, 1980.
  On July 2, 1980, the Daubers and their lawyer appeared in court in Will County Illinois to face charges of concealing cocaine and weapons in their home. They asked for, and got, a continuance. After leaving the Court House, the Daubers and their lawyer, Eddie Genson, stopped in a coffee shop.
   Outside the courthouse, the mobsters waited in a Ford van parked. Inside were probably Gerry Scarpelli, Butch Petrocelli and Scalise,. When court let out, they watched Dauber, his wife and lawyer, walk into a coffee shop and sit down. Jerry Scarpelli, one of the Daubers killers who later hung himself in his jail cell, the hit team considered crashing into the coffee shop and kill them there but thought better of it because FBI agent Jack O’Rourke recalled "Somebody pointed out there were a lot of bridges in Joliet, and the police might block the bridges.”
  Before leaving the coffee shop the Daubers invited Genson to come back with them to their house for  dinner but he declined  "Eddie Genson told us later that on a couple of occasions he had gone to their house and the last time, it scared the hell out of him because when he left Dauber's house, he was followed for several miles by a van," retired FBI agent Jack O'Rourke said "He thought it was the mob, and instead it was a press truck. He said he decided he didn't want to be anywhere near Dauber's house. So he said, 'No, thank you very much,' and Mr. and Mrs. Dauber got into their car. And Eddie Genson left. And then the Daubers proceeded to drive back to their home in Crete," They parted with Genson in the parking lot, climbed into their car and towards drove home.
  As the Daubers drove down the Manhattan-Monee Road away from downtown Joliet, a car, allegedly driven by gangster Frankie Calabrese, pulled out in front of them and slowed down, forcing Dauber to slow down. Then the Ford van, driven by Scalise, pulled alongside Dauber. The side door slide open and Butch Petrocelli lowered a .30 caliber semi automatic carbines and fired into the car.
   Gerry Scarpelli blasted the car with a 12-gauge shotgun. Billy Dauber, attempting to avoid the bullets, swerved but lost control of the car and crashed into an apple tree. The van stopped, backed up, and the men got out, aimed and fired their weapons into the Daubers car.  The couple's bodies were found sprawled across the front seat of their Oldsmobile, with three of its windows blown out and its front end crushed against a tree.
    The hitmen drove the van several hundred yards down the road and hidden in a clump of bushes. Petrocelli went to work and doused the van with lighter fluid and set it on fire to destroy fingerprints or any other evidence left behind.  In the meantime, the others, dismantled the weapons used in the hit and threw them in the Cal Sag Canal a bridge on Illinois Route 83.
    Before Gerald Scarpelli, died in federal custody by suicide or murder, which ever it was, he told FBI agents that he, Butch Petrocelli, and  Joe Scalise, helped kill the Daubers and that Albert Tocco helped in the planning.

DiFronzo John AKA No Nose Born 1928. Spouse Rose Mary DiFronzo. A suspected extortionist, enforcer and loan shark, he widely rumored to be the acting boss of the Chicago mob at the start of the 21st century. DiFronzo is considered independently wealthy and  is known to own a car dealership and partially owns D&P Construction which is run by his  sister-in-law, Josephine DiFronzo, who is the primary officer in the company.
  DiFronzo was arrested in 1949 for attempting to break into a high end Michigan Avenue clothing store. During the which, according to police legend, his nose was sliced off (and sewn back on) when he tried to leap through a plate glass window. Police followed the trial of blood, arrested DiFronzo and gave him his nose back. Other versions of the story are that DiFronzo decided to shoot it out with police officers who shot the mobsters nose off.
   He is a suspected in the 1952 murder of Charlie Gross, a mobbed up West side politician of the 31st Ward who refused to change with the times. In 1952, Gross, then 52 years old, decided to fight the onslaught of  mobsters who had already completely taken over the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 21st, 26th, 27th, and 28th Wards and placed their own candidates in office.  Stupidly, Gross took on the mob and told the press “They'll have to kill me to get me out!" So they did. On February 6, 1952, gangsters shot him dead as he crossed
The street in front of his Kedzie Avenue home.   In the early 1960s, he was supposedly a member of the so-called "Three Minute" Gang, and loansharking partners with Albert Sarno and Chris Cardi.
   According to police, in 1986, Joey Auippa chose DiFronzo to run the western suburbs over Joseph Ferriola, acting boss at the time. When Ferriola died of cancer in 1989, Tony Accardo named DiFronzo and Sam Carlisi as dual leaders over the dwindling fortunes of the once mighty Chicago outfit.
   During his fifty odd years in the top spot, Tony Accardo stuck to Paul Ricca’s “No drugs” rule for the Outfit. However, after Accardo died, in 1992, according to police,  DiFronzo allowed his brother  John and some others to get involved in narcotics business
   On January 12, 1992, John DiFronzo and Don Angelina were indicted for plotting to extort money from the Rincon Indian reservation. Bother were sentenced 37 months in prison. DiFronzo appealed his conviction and won. He was released in 1994 and returned to Chicago. It’s at this point that law enforcement seems to lose track of DiFronzo’s status as boss. Some say that he stepped down as boss after his conviction. Other claim that he set the less intelligent Joey the Clown Lombardo up as a fake boss, allowing DiFronzo to rule behind the scenes. Others think, probably correctly, that the mob no longer has a boss in the traditional sense since the RICO have made having one identifiable boss much too dangerous. 
   In 1993, DiFronzo deducted $125,000 in legal fees from his taxes as a business deduction. The IRS didn’t allow the deduction and DiFronzo challenged the ruling in court. In 1998, a federal judge decided that DiFronzo's criminal convictions stemming from his attempt to take over the Rincon Indian reservation amounted to proof of his business and therefore, legal fees paid to lawyers to keep mobsters out of jail are tax deductible as a legitimate business expense even if the business is very illegitimate organized crime, a federal tax court judge has ruled. (The court actually only allowed DiFronzo $50,000 of the $125,000 in fees and disallowed the rest because DiFronzo,
had enough proof in canceled checks he had written to substantiate only $50,000)

De Laurentis Salvatore AKA Solly D, AKA Pizza Guy. Born 1938. In 1987, DeLaurentis told Bill Jahoda that he paid $ 1,000 per month to the Forest Park Police Chief to protect the crew's floating craps game and later when the game was 
Moved to the Argo/Willow Springs area protection was paid there as well. He also paid
$ 5,000 per month to James Dvorak, the Under sheriff of Cook County, some of which was  to be forwarded to the Cook County Sheriff for protection. (The payment was increased in 1988 to $ 10,000 per month. In 1989, Infelise told Jahoda that the crew was paying $ 35,000 each month to jailed  crew members and "the coppers."
  When Jahoda was arrested in Feburary 1988, by the Illinois State Police for operating a blackjack game at the Arlington Hilton Hotel in Arlington, Illinois  Infelise and DeLaurentis told him that they were paying off three Cook County judges to fix his case and that the problem was that one judge,  Christy Berkos, was holding out for a trip for two to Hawaii. The deal probably fell apart, because in early 1989, Berkos recused himself from the case because he knew one of Jahoda's family members.  The second judge on the case, Judge Thomas Hett, also recused himself during the summer of 1989 because he knew one of Jahoda's family members.  DeLaurentis told Jahoda that the third judge assigned to his case, Judge Richard Neville, would be paid $ 10,000 to fix the case and that the Outfits lawyer/ pay off man Pat Marcy was to handle it. The State eventually dismissed the case on its own motion. Every Christmas, DeLaurentis made a special collection from the bookmakers to payoff various individuals in the Cook County Sheriff's Department which ranged from $ 1,500-$ 5,000 per year.
In 1981, the crew collected $ 1,000 in monthly payments from gambler Ken Eto to buy police protection from the Vice Control Division of the Chicago Police Department for Eto's monte game.  In 1982, Infelise paid an additional  $1,500 per month out of the Rouse House casino profits so that he could bribe the Lake County Sheriff to get advance notice of raids. In return for the special tax, Bill Jahoda, who ran the casino, had a "hot phone" installed in the casino where the advance raid warnings would be phoned in.
   From 1982 through the fall of 1986, the Outfit and the Ferriola Street Crew controlled  liquor licenses issuance from the Liquor Control Commissioner in Cicero, Illinois. 
   In 1986, Infelise, working through Pat Marcy, bribed his federal probation officer by finding the probation officer's son a job with the Town of Cicero Department of Public Works. From 1986 through 1988, the crew also operated 24 floating blackjack game managed by Jahoda who rigged the games by using professional card cheats and mirrored shoes. In total, the games took in $1 million in profits.
  A five-seven, 160 pounds, DeLaurentis's only goal in life has been to become a mobster although he prided himself as a talented amateur singer.  DeLaurentis first surfaced as a member of the Ferriola Street Crew during the summer of 1979 and began organizing the independent  sports bookmaking operations across the counties controlled. He also collecting a street tax from  bookmakers and prostitution and pornographic bookstores, juice loans,  parlay card operators, casinos, and floating blackjack and craps games.
  DeLaurentis told a brothel operator about how he intended to take over Lake county  “See, what I'm telling you is in a month I'm gonna look for ... I want you to look, keep looking for joints. Just keep looking for joints. Solly's  (DeLaurentis) a partner with you here, but he's not gonna be a partner with you anywhere else, you know what I mean, unless he finds a joint, you like it, so you go partners with him.”
   By 1980, DeLaurentis had sub-collectors reporting to him. In 1982, DeLaurentis became the "point man" for the crew's extortion business. Bill Jahoda testified that “In the late part of '88, and possibly the very early part of '89 I had occasion to have a meeting with Infelise, and Rocky says: "Solly was made last night.  I sponsored him," and he says ‘I'm surprised. I still use fire and paper," (Meaning that DeLaurentis was forced to hold a burning a picture of a Saint in his hands as he repeated the words ‘May my soul burn like this picture if I betray this promise’) Jahoda continued and said  “I saw DeLaurentis to take care of our business. ... I just said congratulations. The other guy told me about it. As he said many times since that: "Well, I'm like the other guy is now, because the other guy is  like what the other guy was." In essence, he's telling me he's doing what Rocky (Infelise) used to do, and Rocky is doing what Joey (Ferriola) used to do.”
  By September 13, 1989 he was underboss in The Crew, reporting only to Infelice, and, effectively, the boss of Lake County in charge of street tax and gambling for the Ferriola Street Crew and in 1988, replaced Jahoda as a partner and manager of the day-to-day operations of the crew's principal bookmaking operation.
  DeLaurentis, owned a liquor store (Solly D’s) bowling alley and pizza restaurant in the Lake County Village of Island Lake. He was also in charge of the crew’s massive gambling operations and had a stake in rigged video poker machines installed in twenty-two area taverns.
Discussing his ability to use his muscle when he had to,  DeLaurentis was recorded making the following boasts;

DeLaurentis: I says "you bulldog mother fucker, I ever catch you in fuckin' Lake Country again I'll knock you mother fuckin' head off." He says, "well what about my money?" I says it's in my pocket. You wanna come and get it?  He says well it ain't my money, it's  Louie's. You want me to tell Louie that. I say you tell anybody the fuck you want. Okay. So now he's figuring me and Louie will get in a beef, right. So, ah, he calls B.J. (Bill Jahoda) for help.  So B.J. says, fuck I can't help you with Solly. What the fuck can I do with Solly. He says well I got to talk to somebody, so he says I'll have somebody else call you. So Rocky (Infelise) called already he says Mikey, I'm going to tell you for the last time, when Solly says shit, you fucking squat "cause if I turn him loose, he will knock you fucking head off. He says one word from, the only reason he didn't knock your fucking head off already, he says turban. He says he wanted to put a fucking turban on your head. You know what that is don't ya?

Informant:  No.
DeLaurentis: You break a guy's head, they got to wrap it.
Informant: (Laughs).
DeLaurentis: Fucking gauze. He says if it was up to Solly, you'd have been wearing a fucking turban already. He says now I am telling you, you fucking get out of line again, he's got the "Go" sign now. He says if you fart in that fucking county and you don't tell him about it first, he will put a fucking turban on your head. So he's shitting. ...

DeLaurentis also felt that it was his responsibility to keep the crew going if other crew leaders were indicted or convicted of criminal charges:
DeLaurentis: ... You know, I'm going to try and keep this thing  [*52]  going. Let's say they scoop us. I'm putting guys in now to keep this fucking thing going. One thing is going to jail and you still got everything going, and you know that, like you did last time.
Jahoda: Oh, yeah.
DeLaurentis: That's another thing to go we're all closed up, you know. So I'll try to get a couple of guys in line nobody's home, B. you know, either me or Rocky or Louie, one of us, it will be a lot better if one of us is out on the street.
Jahoda: True.
DeLaurentis: If we're all gone, then the guys behind us. We might lose a little money, somebody might steal a little along the way, but we still got it going.

   One gambler who fell behind told of beating he received at DeLaurentis pizza shop;
 “All the way on the front on the pizza place; he took me all around the back and he start hitting me again. So let's say about 15 minutes. I don't know what that is. I left and went to Florida because I thought if he was going to catch me now again I was going to be dead.” The gambler testified that  DeLaurentis called him in Florida and said
"You think I can't find you?"
   Steve Hospodar, a 65-year-old gambler who fell seriously behind in his payments to
DeLaurentis and his partner and fellow underboss, Lou Marino. Hospodar was called to a
south suburban restaurant to meet with Marino.

Marino: You will find some fuckin' money.
Hospodar: I'm gonna try. I…
Marino: You will find some fuckin' money…
Hospodar: Like I say, I'm gonna try.
Marino: You motherfucker.
Hospodar: I'm gonna try.
Marino: You will find money.
Hospodar: Well, we'll see what happens. I, I'll make every…
Marino: Hey, I ain't seein'…
Hospodar: Every effort…
Marino: what happens!
Hospodar: I'll make every effort!
Marino: I ain't seein' what happens, you make a date you motherfucker, you cannot
fulfill, you can't live with it. You will fuckin' get me money today.
Hospodar: All right.
Marino: I give a fuck where you get it.
Hospodar: All right.
Marino: You get me money. Go steal the motherfucker!
Hospodar: I'll have to.
Marino: You, I don't give a fuck! If I was in that spot that's what the fuck I'd be doin'! You just go fuck and do it, Steve, the, the game's over, Steve. I'll tell ya'.

Hospodar: All right.
Marino: Right now.
Hospodar: All right.
Marino: You'll fuckin' be here tonight. Here what I'm tellin' you, Steve?
Hospodar: Okay.
Marino: You fuckin' be here. What time?
Hospodar: You said between six, six-thirty.
Marino: All right. I wanna make it a right fuckin' time. I don't be…
Hospodar: All right.
Marino: fuckin' sitting in this joint.

  DeLaurentis then led Hospodar into the men's room and "messed him up a little" because he was suspicious that Hospodar was wearing a wire. He was, as it turned out, but they didn't find it. "When he came out, his (Steve's) wig was wet. Sol had thrown the wig into the toilet and put it back on his head."
  Other shake downs were calmer. A gambler named Hildebrandt said that in the fall of 1983, DeLaurentis and two of his men came up to him Janis in a restaurant, and said: "Hi, Roc. How you doing? I know you guys are running rooms. This can't go on.  I thought we were going to take care of this problem.  We have to go now and have a cup of coffee and discuss this."
  "I love my work," DeLaurentis told Jahoda as they were driving back to Illinois from Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. "I'm so fuckin' busy, but I enjoy it. I enjoy my work. Always did. I wish it didn't have that sentence threatening over you all the fuckin' time, but that's what it is, it is,"
    One gambler that the hoods couldn’t scare was Hal C. Smith, who managed nearly a dozen wire rooms that grossed up to $400,000 a night and his income was between $2.8 to $4.2 million or two to three percent of the gross revenue from his independent bookmaking operation. He lived the high life in a palatial Prospect Heights home. The father of four, he carried enormous rolls of money around with him, and flaunted his success and of course, the mob noticed.
   The IRS also noticed and raided his home and found $606,000 in cash, stuffed inside a gym bag in the garage. They seized Smith's Cadillac and house under a federal law that allows the government to confiscate assets derived from illegal enterprises.
   In the fall of 1983, DeLaurentis arranged a meeting with Janis and Robbie Hildebrandt, one of Smith and Janis' phone clerks.  At this meeting, DeLaurentis told Janis and Hildebrandt that they and Smith would have to pay street tax. When Hildebrandt told Smith about the meeting, Smith said "fuck that little guinea" and told Hildebrandt that he would take care of it. Janis retired to Florida shortly afterwards.
   Rocky Infelise and mobster Lou Marino assigned gambler Bill Jahoda to find
Smith’s house and tail him for three months. When the three months was over
Jahoda, pointed out the Smith to enforcer Bobby Bellavia at a north suburban golf course.
Bellavia approached Smith and told him to attend a  meeting with Rocky Infelise and gave him the time, date and place to meet. But Smith didn’t show up.  So Sal DeLaurentis followed him and tailed him to a restaurant in rural Lake County. 
  DeLaurentis again contacted Hildebrandt about paying street tax and set up a meeting between himself, Smith, and Hildebrandt.  One night in the winter of 1984,  Undercover Detective Thomas Sherry, a 28-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department, watched as Hal C. Smith,  considered by federal investigators as one of the biggest independent bookies in the country, and Sal DeLaurentis, squared off  in a nearly deserted Lake County restaurant “tossing money and questioning the other's ethnic heritage in a heated show of force” as Sherry reported. “And Smith made numerous ethnic slurs about DeLaurentis” He added that DeLaurentis vowed to see Smith dead unless he paid $6,000 in protection money to the mob. "Smith offered to pay $3,000, then $3,500” Sherry said “but DeLaurentis said it wasn't good enough. Smith said “Well now you get nothing”
  "They started throwing money around; they were trying to show who had more money than the other fellow." Finally, Sherry said, the shouting and ethnic slurs ceased, DeLaurentis told Smith, "You are trunk music, my friend."
   On February 7, 1985, Infelise, Marino, and Bellavia came to Jahoda's house.  Infelise told Jahoda that only he and Smith should come to his house, preferably in Smith's car, Smith should enter the house alone through the kitchen, and Jahoda should try not to go in the house. Later that day, Jahoda met Smith at the bar and brought him back to his house as instructed. Jahoda told Smith to go in through the kitchen while he pretended to go over to his mailbox. Jahoda saw Infelise, Marino, and Bellavia in the house after he arrived with Smith. The last time Jahoda saw Smith, he was dazed and slumped on the floor with Infelise, Marino, and Bellavia surrounding him.
   Later that evening, Jahoda returned home, which was empty and noticed that part of the kitchen floor had been mopped. A few minutes later, Infelise called and told him to look for a cigar and glasses that Marino thought had been left behind. Jahoda looked but said he couldn’t find them (Both items were later recovered from Smith's car by the Arlington Heights Police.)
   Jahoda left for Mexico the next day but on February 10, 1985, Smith's body was found in the trunk of his car. The coroner who examined the body concluded that Smith died of strangulation. The coroner also found that Smith had been tortured because he had been severely beaten about the head and face, he had numerous superficial incisions and cuts in his neck and chest, and his throat was slit. But none were fatal.
 Jahoda, still in Mexico, got a call from Infelise who told him that Smith's body had been found and to return to Chicago.  Jahoda met with Infelise who Infelise told him that they were all "hot" because of "that thing," and Jahoda was particularly hot and added that the recent murder of gambler and Outfit hood Chuckie English was “a good distraction and would take the heat off this thing”
   Jahoda suspected that he too, would be murdered after Hal Smith was killed and flipped to the government . But another reason that Jahoda might have flipped to the government involved a women named Penny Carson. In 1985, Carson had been dating DeLaurentis but dropped him in favor of  Bill Jahoda. DeLaurentis never forgot it, and when he was made into the Mafia in 1989, DeLaurentis, told Jahoda that if he wanted to, as a made man, he could kill him and Penny Carson, if the moment struck him. Jahoda panicked and flip to the government and helped o convict at least twenty hoods. 
    The trial turned into a slug fest when DeLaurentis lawyer, New Yorker Bruce Cutler, perhaps the second most obnoxious mob lawyer in organized crime history tore into the government’s witness, Bill Jahoda. When Jahoda said he attended DeLaurentis' 51st birthday party in August of 1989 at DeLaurentis' secluded Inverness home, Cutler claimed the statement was a ruse by the government, thought Jahoda, to tie DeLaurentis
to national organized crime and the New York Family’s.
    Jahoda said he purchased DeLaurentis a gift copy of New York crime chieftain Joseph Bonanno's autobiography, "A Man of Honor." And had written inside the cover "With every good wish to you, a real man of honor. Love & Respect, Bee." (Jahoda's nickname)
 "Do you know what it means to be honorable?" Cutler asked mockingly, rapidly adding the virtues of loyalty and friendship to the question.
Sure, Jahoda replied.
"Did you mean it when you wrote "love and respect?' " Cutler continued.
"In all honesty, no," Jahoda answered.
    Jahoda had testified earlier that when he handed DeLaurentis the book, that DeLaurentis had talked in an incriminating manner about mob families in New York and Chicago. Cutler  countered that  the talk was merely idle chit chat about events in Bonanno’s book.
  Cutler's line of questioning was so serve that by chief prosecutor Mitchell Mars
 frequently objected only to have Cutler turn on him. When Mars asked Jahoda if he had tried to slip in talk with DeLaurentis about watching movies depicting the Mafia, Cutler declared, "Get up, Mars."
"I am up," Mars replied. "And I object."
  Bookmaker William Martino said that he paid DeLaurentis after Hal Smith was killed because “I was afraid, intimidated," and said DeLaurentis gave him three choices: pay the money, split his gambling business with him, or turn the entire business over to the mob.
The "best option," he said, was to pay.
   Pat Gervais, a Lake County brothel keeper who operated two houses,  Cherri's Studio and Portrait de Femmes, testified that he paid $12,000 in extortion money to DeLaurentis to stay in business.  Gervais said the money, which he brought each month to DeLaurentis pizzeria and liquor store in Island Lake, bought protection from the mob and sheriff's police. Gervais, who was a government informant and recording most of his conversations with DeLaurentis, said that  DeLaurentis had ways of finding out when police raids might be coming. If they did, he would get a warning phone call that "Uncle is on his way." DeLaurentis also told him "You might take a pinch without them calling you. Sometimes the state's attorney comes right in. There's no time . . . you know, (to) give you a call."
    Eventually Gervais Cook County whore house, Portrait de Femmes, was raided and closed down. When he asked why, he was told that it competed with a brothel run by a Sheriff's Department official. Gervais said sheriff's police who carried out the raid told him their boss, Richard Quagliano, had ordered it.  "They were told by Quagliano to take their badges off," Gervais said. "They said they were not going to allow a place to operate across the street from his (Quagliano)." In 1986, after the facts became public, Quagliano resigned from the county force, and no charges were ever filed against him.
    James LaValley, a  convicted extortionist with 50 burglaries to his name testified that when he pursued one deadbeat gambler named Tony Ignafo too much, DeLaurentis called him in to a meeting at the Onion Roll restaurant in Oak Park and dressed him down "He (DeLaurentis) told me I was causing `heat' and to forget the debt," LaValley said.
  "Sometimes” asked DeLaurentis' lawyer Bruce Cutler “you threatened people just by showing up, fair statement?"
"That's true," LaValley replied. "It's the business we are in."
"Your business," Cutler said, correcting him. "Solly D (DeLaurentis) has pleaded not guilty (to the charges)."
   George Miller Jr. an independent bookmaker testified that in 1982 DeLaurentis gave him a choice of merging his gambling business with the mobs or split his profits. "I chose to hook up with them," said Miller said "I'd probably get my legs broken if I didn't. Rocky (Infelice) said if we didn't join up he would find our printing press (to print football parlay cards) and he would smash it. My father told Rocky he was a friend of Joey Aiuppa. Louis (Marino) said, `That was then and this is now. We are up here taking over Lake County.' " By the end of football season, Miller turned over half his profits to the mob, about $50,000 to $60,000 from telephone sports bets he had booked, plus another $10,000 from his parlay card earnings. He also said that there were some benefits to working with DeLaurentis. When a racehorse who owed him $10,000., tried to skip town, some hoods spotted him at a hotel near  O'Hare International Airport in 1982 and stopped him from boarding a plan "They bounced him," Miller said, meaning they held upside down until his wallet fell out and $500 was taken as "a down payment" on the debt. "All I heard was a couple of screams."
  Sam Joseph Malatia was caught in extortion in Chicago and drug smuggling operation in Louisiana and agreed to turn government informant. Before that he had been a driver for DeLaurentis, whom he considered his mob mentor. Malatia discussed protection payoffs and said that DeLaurentis showed him how collect "You do what you gotta do to get the money," Malatia said DeLaurentis had told him. He recalled that one time in Giannotti's, a mob restaurant in Forest Park, DeLaurentis took a deadbeat gambler named "Steve" into a men's room and "messed him up a little. When he (Steve) came out his wig was wet (because) Sol (DeLaurentis) had thrown the wig into the toilet, then put it back on Steve's head."
   On March 9, 1992  Rocco Infelice, DeLaurentis, Louis Marino, and Robert Bellavia were all found guilty of racketeering and participation in an illegal gambling business.
The jury concluded that Rocky Infelice had conspired to kill Hal Smith, but was unable to decide if he actually participated in the murder. They also found that DeLaurentis, had not conspired to kill Smith but agreed that he had actually plotted the killing.
DeLaurentis was sentenced him to 18 1/2 years in prison and noted that DeLaurentis showed "no remorse; no regret" for his crimes.
  Not only had the jury sentenced them to jail,  the hood were ordered to forfeit $3 million to the government. After the convictions, the government decided to go after Infelice and DeLaurentis holding and demanded the right to interrogate the hoods wives and adult children about ownership of their homes, and financial accounts and other assets. They were after real estate, jewelry or other “possessions of forfeiture” such property are allowed under the racketeering laws the men were convicted of violating.
   According to a government petition, prosecutors targeted $70,000 in an account with Ann Infelice's name on it with the investment firm of Paine Webber for forfeiture and asked the court to halt payments of $3,000 a month to Ann Infelice, arguing the money, from her husband's investments, was illegally obtained.
 While the government was trying to get their money, Infelice transferred ownership of a condominium at 1535 Forest Ave., River Forest, (Valued then at $250,000)  and a residential property in Hollywood, Florida into his late mother-in-laws name. DeLaurentis transferred cash and property at 411 Lauder Lane in Inverness  (Valued then at $400,000. It was occupied by Donna DeLaurentis and one child.) and Island Lake in Lake County to his wife and five close relatives.

DePersio, Joe: The house keeper and general companion at Sam Giancana’s house. DePersio and his wife lived upstairs in the house, Giancana lived in the basement. It was DePersio who found Giancana’s dead body.

DeGrazio, Anthony: In 1959, Tony Accardo and his wife went to Europe on vacation leaving from Midway airport October 13 1959 to England, France, Italy and Switzerland. With them was Chicago police lieutenant Anthony DeGrazio (Of the Damian Avenue station) and his wife. DeGrazio (Born 1900) later said he was acting as Accardo’s bodyguard on the 39 day holiday. They were found out by European reporters and dogged everywhere they went by an army of reporters. When the trip ended DeGrazio was fired for violating police department rules which forbade fraternizing "with person who have a criminal record or background" It was later learned that DeGrazio had gone along on Accardo’s 1934 honeymoon as body guard as well. DeGrazio had been with the department since 1922 but was fired by the civil service board on August 22 1924 for accepting a bribe. He was reinstated  in January of 1925 and promoted to sergeant in 1959. Accardo said that he had invited Hollywood producer Howard J Beck along but that Beck cancelled at the last moment. Remarkably DeGrazio, who was the son of a Northside Capo, said that he was not aware that “Mr. Accardo has such an unwholesome reputation” A reporter asked "Didn't you read the newspapers about Accardo?" to which DeGrazio replied  "And just because it’s in the newspapers I should believe it ?"  Several months before Police captain Louis Possehl was relieved of his duties and reassigned to the loop traffic after being photographed shaking hands with Accardo

De Rosa Anthony: Described by the FBI as “a special hit man” for Giancana and Accardo in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Desk Set: In 1994, the desk used by Tony Accardo to run the mobs business sold for $10,000 at auction which was attended by almost 1000 people

DeStefano, Sam: AKA Mad Sam. Born 1900.  Died April 14 1973  Gangster. Like most of the hoods that controlled the Chicago mob in the 1950s  through the 1970s, DeStefano came out of the 42 gang, but unlike most of the other members of the gang, DeStefano wasn’t born in Chicago’s little Italy. Rather, he was born and raised in middle class surroundings in southern Illinois and moved to Chicago while he was a teenager.
   DeStefano, an early member of the 42 gang, was convicted of kidnapping and raping a 17 year old girl in 1927. When he was released from prison in 1932 he was shot while burglarizing a food store. In 1933 he was jailed for bank robbery and in 1947 he was jailed again for selling fake sugar ration stamps.   
   There was little doubt in law enforcement or underworld circles that that DeStefano was completely insane. Rogue cop Tommy Dorso, told the FBI, “DeStefano is not normal. Mentally, physically or spiritually... and he knows it.”   Dorso went on to say that he once saw Mad Sam roll on the floor, spit running from his mouth, begging Satan to show him mercy and screaming over and over again, “I’m your servant, command me.” [1]
   In the basement of his expansive home at 1656 North Sayre Avenue in Chicago, DeStefano had a complete, soundproofed, torture chamber. On the wall was a wooden cabinet where DeStefano kept his weapons of choice, razor sharp ice picks, with which he used to stab his victims in the groin and ears.   When a Chicago restaurant owner named Adler fell behind in his payments to DeStefano’s juice operation, Destefano kidnapped him off the streets, dragged him to his basement and stabbed him with his ice picks, killing him and then dumping his body in a sewer drain a few blocks from his house.  Police found the body was that in the spring, the sanitation department was trying to unblock the sewer, which had backed up and yanked out Adler’s body, which was perfectly preserved in the ice.
   On September 26, 1955, DeStefano was called at his home by a syndicate hood and told to take his brother Michael, a known drug addict, out of a Cicero casino where he was causing a problem. DeStefano went to the casino, took his brother out to his own car and shot him in the head five times. Then he drove his brother’s dead body to their brother Mario’s house, in Cicero, where he stripped the body of its clothing, scrubbed it clean, dressed it in new clothes, put the body into a car, drove it to a street corner in Chicago, went home and phoned the police and told them where the body could be found.
The mobs leadership over looked DeStefano’s madness because he produced enormous amounts of money for the mob. In the mid 1950s, when mobsters considered loan sharking beneath their dignity, DeStefano leaped into the business and cornered the market. The bosses, Ricca, Accardo and Giancana, invested one hundred thousand in DeStefano’s loan business and got a return for ten times that amount.
    It was the murder of Leo Forman that brought DeStefano down. Forman, a commercial real estate broker, was also one of DeStefano’s collectors.  One afternoon in 1963, DeStefano was in Forman’s office and there was an argument, which ended with Forman throwing DeStefano out of his office.   A few days later, DeStefano ordered gangsters Tony Spilotro and Chuckie Grimaldi lure Forman out to DeStefano’s brother’s house in Cicero. Once he was there, Forman was beaten and carried down to the basement where DeStefano was waiting, a hammer in his hand. He hammered in Forman’s knees, head, crotch and ribs, stabbed him with an ice pick twenty times and then shot him in the head, killing him. They dumped the body in a trunk of a car and left it on the end of an empty street.
   Ten years went by, but in 1973 the FBI turned Chuckie Grimaldi into an informant. Based on the evidence he provided them with, federal warrants were drawn up for the arrests of Spilotro, Mad Sam DeStefano and his brother Mario, for the murder of Leo Forman.  At the pre-trial, DeStefano defended himself and turned the entire proceedings into a circus. But the government had its own tricks. It would offer DeStefano immunity for his testimony. That was enough. The order was issued from the bosses to kill DeStefano.
    Tony Spilotro and DeStefano’s own brother, who had been given the contract to murder Sam DeStefano, pulled into DeStefano’s driveway on a bright and beautiful Saturday morning. DeStefano was in the garage. When he saw the car pull in, he lifted up the garage door and waved Mario and Spilotro inside. When they were within a foot of DeStefano, Spilotro lifted a shotgun out from under his coat fired two rounds into DeStefano killing him. Several months later, Spilotro and Mario DeStefano were acquitted of all charges in the Forman killing.
     Strangely, the coroners report stated that DeStefano was suffering from malnutrition when he was killed. Police also noted that on April 5, DeStefano reported that his home, armed with an elaborate alarm system, had been burglarized and that he had surprised the burglars in robbery. But officers reported that they felt DeStefano was holding back something form them and that they suspected that the burglars had tried to shoot him to death.  

Dunbar Club: South side political power Dan Jackson condensed his gambling interests to a small casino known as the Dunbar club on South Michigan Ave in the 1930s.

Dreamland Café: A popular Black night spot on the South side in the 1930s

De Stefano Rocco, AKA Rocco Nicholas De Stefano.  A noted partner with Jake Guzik, and Charlie and Rocco Fischetti in the 1940s, DeStefano also worked with hoodlum Joe Fusco in a legitimate company called Gold Seal Liquors. (In which Guzik and the Fischetti’s were said to have a secret interest)  On February 24, 1936, De Stefano and others were indicted, in a $75,000 mob organized robbery in Cook County, but the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence. In August of 1941, De Stefano together with Harry V. Russell, prominent handbook operator, Peter Tremont, policy operator, Patrick Manno, policy operator, Max Caldwell, Milton Schwartz, and Maurice Margolis, were all indicted for looting at least  $910,000  from the treasury of local 1248, Retail Clerks Protective Association, union funds. The charges were later dropped, again due to lack of evidence after the witnesses in the case couldn’t be located.  

DiVarco, Vincent: The son of Joseph "Little Caesar" DiVarco and also the son-in-law of Chicago Outfit associate James Caporale a former Chicago District Council official convicted of looting approximately $2 million from one of the union's affiliated funds.
Officially DiVarco was the Recording Secretary of the Laborers local 2. He also claimed to be the locals Field Representative. When John Matassa, (Whose father was a Chicago cop and bodyguard for Sam Giancana) took over as Business Manager of Local 2, he announced a new Field Representative position and recommended Vince DiVarco for the job, despite the fact that DiVarco wasn’t a member of the union or even a laborer for that matter. Regardless, DiVarco was hired with the unanimous approval of Local 2's Executive Board without consideration of other candidates. Otherwise DiVarco was a top Accardo lieutenant in North Side gambling and loan shark operations with a record of arrests on suspicion in several gangland murders.
   In February of 1983 he ordered two mobsters, Jasper Campise and John Gattuso,
 to kill gambler Ken Eto, but they botched it. The hitmen eventually were found murdered in the trunk of a car and Eto became a federal informant. DiVarco was lucky to escape alive. In March of 1985, he was sentenced to 10 years in prison and fined $60,000 after being convicted of operating illegal sports betting parlors on the Near North Side. In failing health when he entered prison,  he died from a combination of chronic heart, kidney and lung ailments in prison.

DiVarco Joseph AKA Little Caesar Date of Birth 1912. Died 1986. DiVarco, who had an arrest record going back to 1937, was a capo, or a street boss, in the organization who ran bars and gambling along Rush Street on the near North Side. He worked closely with Vincent Solano and both of them answered to Ross Prio, Tony Accardo’s long life friend and captain. Police suspected that DiVarco, who was 5 feet, 5 inches tall and slightly built, carried out a series of enforcement murders for Sam Giancana in the early 1960s.  DiVarco and Fifi Buccieri were partners in a men’s haberdashery in the 1960 that concentrated on the Gay market. The so-called Rush street crew dabbled in gambling, loan sharking and extortion, with DiVarco leading the gang into the business of organizing and shaking down porn shop operators during the 1970s and 1980s.  After Giancana was murdered, DiVarco's power and position lessened.
   Gambler Lenny Yaras, who was shot dead by two men wearing ski masks as he sat in his car in the 4200 block of West Division Street in Chicago, had been a DiVarco lieutenant early in his career.  The morning that Yaras was killed DiVarco appeared in federal court and was linked by FBI agents to the slaying of John DeJohn, in April of 1981, and to the botched assassination attempt on gambling boss Ken Eto.
   According to mobster Timothy Joyce, DeJohn was drug peddler who was killed on DiVarco’s orders in the spring of 1981 because DiVarco feared that DeJohn, a drug addict had become emotionally unstable and couldn’t be trusted.
   On Feburary 10, 1983, acting on orders from the bosses, DiVarco had arranged a dinner meeting between Ken Eto and Jasper Campise and John Gattuso. Before dinner,
Campise and Gattuso shot Eto three times because mob bosses feared that Eto was about to become a federal witness. Campise and Gattuso later were found slain, their throats slit, in the trunk of Gattuso's car. After that, DiVarco was reduced in rank and lucky to be alive himself.
    In September of 1984, DiVarco was acquitted of charges that he conspired to shake down owners of four Near North Side taverns that catered to homosexuals. A year later
DiVarco and five others were convicted in federal court on charges that they operated illegal sports betting parlors on the Near North Side that took in as much as $200,000 a day from 1978 to 1980. (Convicted with him were Marshall L. Portnoy, Warren Winkler, Ronald Ignoffo who was DiVarco lieutenant, Steven Soupos and Joseph Calato. Another defendant, Santo LaMantia, 49, of Bartlett, was acquitted of all charges.) 
   The investigation began in 1980 when the Internal Revenue Service raided DiVarco's home and seized $35,000 in cash from a heating vent in DiVarco's bedroom and the keys to a safe deposit box that held another $150,000 in cash. The agents pulled DiVarco’s
Federal income tax returns and found that he reported a total income of $165,000 for the 15 years from 1966 through 1980, making it difficult to explain where the $185,000 in cash came from. In 1985 DiVarco was sentenced to1o years in prison and $90,000 in fines. He died in jail one year later.
   Just before DiVarco died, he suffered heart, kidney and lung diseases,  he was being leaned on by staff members of the President's Commission on Organized Crime were attempting to talk him into becoming an informant. On December 17 1986, deputy U.S. marshals, acting on a subpoena from the commission, took DiVarco from his cell in the Terminal Island federal prison near Los Angeles and escorted him to Washington DC where he was placed in the District of Columbia Jail. 

Di Caro Charles AKA Specs. Charles DiCaro was a one time cartage thief, gambler and narcotics dealer who worked with dope peddler Mario Garelli and South Side rackets boss Ralph Pierce in the 1940s and 1950s. 

DiForti Jim, Born 1945.  Died June 6, 2000. DiForti also the number two man in Laborer’s Local 5, drawing a salary of $90,000 a year. (Other laborers officials include Joseph Lombardo, Jr., son of the Joey “the Clown” Lombardo, Bruno Caruso, Local 1001 president and business manager. In 1998, twenty-three current or former officials within the Chicago District Council and the affiliated pension and welfare funds have been linked to the Chicago outfit.) DiForti became secretary-treasurer of Local 5 after having previously served as a business agent in Local 1006. DiForti was also a lieutenant of Johnny “Apes” Monteleone. FBI Special Agent Jack O’Rourke wrote that “Jimmy DiForti was a lieutenant reporting to John Monteleone.... that he was in charge of gambling and juice and street tax collections for the 26th Street Chinatown Crew, a long-time member of that crew, and also involved with the Cicero Crew, that both had been placed under John Monteleone and that DiForti being a trusted lieutenant had been dispatched on orders of John Monteleone out to Chicago Heights to take over Local 5 and to conduct organized crime operations in the south suburban Chicago Heights area.”
   Police and FBI suspected that DiForti, and two other men, Wally Zischke, and John Robert Evans, ran a burglary ring made up of men who couldn’t pay their gambling loans.  Zischke ratted his partners out to the FBI “In fact, he bragged that Jimmy DiForti used his union car, Laborers’ Union car, to go on these scores which were commercial burglaries - in the suburbs of Chicago,” FBI Agent Jack O’Rourke stated.
    Until he was arrested and charged with the murder of William Benham, owner of the B & S Pallet Company in the 500 block of Root Street, DiForti had never been indicted on a criminal charge in Chicago, though he has long been identified as a “made” member of the outfit linked to Monteleone, West Side boss Anthony Centracchio and others.
  A horse race player with a habit of borrowing money he had no intention of repaying, Benham refused to pay back a $100,000 loan DiForti had made to him and threatened to go to the police with his story.
  Benham was killed in his office on Valentine’s Day, 1988. He had been shot six times
Times. A small hand gun was found under the desk, indicating that he may have fired back at his killer before collapsing to the floor.
   The case died out until 1995 when an FBI informant (Believed to be Wally Zischke
And old business partner of DiForti’s) implicated DiForti. The FBI conducted a DNA test match with blood found on the crime scene and DiForti's blood from a trail of blood he had left leading away from the crime scene. Police suspected that DiForti was shot just over his right eyebrow and in his right rib cage before he killed Benham. 
   When there was a match and DiForti was charged with murder. When DiForti was arrested for the murder, as he left his home, cops found $6,000 in his pockets. In July of 1998, a Cook County Grand Jury returned a murder indictment against DiForti, although almost a decade had passed since the murder took place. 

Dinella Robert: In May of 1990, Robert Dinella was in charge of the used car department at the Celozzi-Ettleson car dealership in suburban Chicago. As the service manager, he determined which bills his department would pay for repair and which vendors they would use to make those repairs.
  On May 11, Dinella met with mobster Frank Calabrese, his son, Frank Jr. and one of their gamblers, Matt Russo, at the M & R garage to discuss the ways to cheat the Celozzi-Ettleson dealerships customers with fraudulent or inflated repair charges. In the meeting, Dinella showed Russo, who owned M&R garage and would be subcontracting repair work for the dealership, how to prepare invoices for repayment by Celozzi-Ettleson and the strategies for padding bills, or charging for non-existent repair work.
  Frank Calabrese told Russo, who was deeply in debt to the crew in gambling losses, that all he had to do was to falsify the invoices, collect the checks, and then give Dinella his share. The Calabrese’s had already taken the title to his home for part of the $20,000 juice loan they had given him to make up for his gambling debts. They had also all but taken over the M & R Auto station in River Grove as a sort of command post for the crew. Unknown to them, Russo was a government informant and had bugged the room and was secretly taping the conversation and the government watched as the scheme netted the crew $5,702.70. as well as free auto work for Calabrese. When the FBI closed in on the operation, Robert Dinella and seven Calabrese crew members pled guilty and were jailed for two to three years.

Di Silvestro Renato, In April of 1989 Di Silvestro was a decorated 21-year veteran of the Chicago police force on disability leave. To make some extra cash, D Silvestro partnered with mobsters James Moccio, Thomas Zizzo, Chris Serritella and Tony Mastro, to run a casino on top of a pasta factory at 11223 W. Grand Ave. in unincorporated Leyden Township in western Cook County. When the game was raided by Chicago Police vice control section, Cook County sheriff's police and agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, they arrested 37 patrons and recovered more than $75,000 cash.

DeStefano, Mario: Born 1915 Died August 13 1975. Natural causes. A one time member of the 42 gang. In 1934 he was sent to prison for killing a saloon keeper after a gun battle in which four persons were gunned down. He later confessed to committing as many as 50 robberies a month. He was released after 14 years.  Brother of Mad Sam DeStefano. He was suspected as one of the murderers of Sam Giancana although its doubtful. Although he occasionally acted as Giancana’s driver, at the time of the killing DeStefano was in ill health and most doubt that the bosses would willingly deal with anyone of the DeStefano’s whom they considered to be out of control.  In 1972 he was convicted in the torture murder (with Tony Spilotro) of Leo Foreman. The conviction and 30 year jail term was later overturned.  DeStefano was a loan shark who survived in the Outfit for over 40 years. Unlike his brothers, he was low key and sedate.              

DePietto, Americo, AKA Pete. Born 1911. Resided 710 Willow Street. Itasca. Claimed to be an unemployed waiter. Drug dealer and muscle man for hire in the juke box rackets. Suspected bomber of the Sahara Inn (3939 North Mannheim Road)  in 1963. DePietto was barred from the Inn after singer/actor Gene Autry bought the place. (Mob policeman Richard Cain threw DePietto, off the property along with Marshal Caifano, Monk Allegretti, Vito Lombardi, Rocky “The Parrot Man” Potenza and Patty Iovineeli) The Sahara had been owned by Manny Skar, a hood, who defaulted on a $10 million loan.  DePietto had done time for a Wisconsin robbery involving $154,000. In 1961 he was questioned in the mysterious fire of the North Avenue Steak House on 8500 North Avenue in Melrose Park. He was said to be an owner in the place with Rocco Infelise although the owner of record was Joe DeTolve 

Dorfman, Paul: AKA Red. Born1900

[1] Chicago Police Intelligence Report