John William Tuohy lives in Washington DC

John Tuohy's History of the Chicago Mob (H)


Haggerty, Paul: Born 1949. Died June 24, 1976. In June of 1976, Hoodlum Nick Calabrese said he had arrived at his brother's Elmwood Park home and was told
“Don't make any plans, we're gonna be busy. We've got to put somebody in a hole''
The somebody was Paul Haggerty. The order came from higher up’s in the mob, apparently Haggerty had burglarized a suburban jewelry store either owned by a Boss or directly under a Boss’s protection.
   For the next four weeks Calabrese and other members of his brother’s crew including Frank "Gumba" Saladino and Ronnie Jarrett followed Haggerty to establish a pattern. The killer’s code named the murder “Doo-be-doo”
   On June 18, 1976, they kidnapped Paul Haggerty off the streets and drove him to Jarrett's mother-in-law's garage in the 2800 block of South Lowe. Just a week before, Haggerty, who was living in a half way house, had finished a sentence at a South Side work-release center for burglary and grand theft. He was questioned and then left alone for almost a half hour before Nick Calabrese handcuffed him and taped his eyes and mouth shut. He gave Haggerty some water and helped him use the bathroom. At about that time, the others returned with a stolen car they intended to use to transport Haggerty’s corpse in. 
  Haggerty frantically gripped the roof of a car while Frank Calabrese and “Goombah” Saladino punched him, dragged him into the back seat. "I held him and Ronnie held him and my brother strangled him with a rope," Nick Calabrese said and added that his brother Frank pulled out a knife and slashed Haggerty’s throat
  On June 24, Haggerty was found a week later in the stolen cars trunk that had been towed to the police auto pound. His body was bound, gagged and blindfolded and stuffed into a plastic bag.

Hanson, Kenny: A mob gambler and casino boss active in the 1960s.
Hymes, Harry: The mob wire service operator for Lake County Ind. In the 1940s.
Hutch Sam: Levee Brothel keeper arrested for pandering on August 13 1912, he fled Chicago to avoid conviction

Hare Sam: Died April 1946. Lived at 415 Aldine Avenue. Manager of the Victoria, A Colosimo brothel where girls were brought in from St. Louis and broken in. He later managed the Dells, a massive casino in Morton Grove in partnership with Lou Silversmith.(2797 North Pine Grove). Silversmith was the owner of the high powered rifle that killed Red Barker in 1932. The Touhy gang was said to have taken over the Dells in 1931 and took credit for killing Barker. The Dells (Named for a waiter named Dell Jones) was robbed several times and fire bombed twice, the last bombing coming on October 8, 1934. Another of Hare’s clubs, the Moulin Rouge on 511 Diversey Highway had mysteriously caught fire earlier in the year. Hare held a $25,000 policy on the property. In 1931, the Touhy gang tracked Capone killer Fred Pacelli to the Dells and killed him. That same year, while at least 300 people watch, Touhy gunmen marched into the Dells and shot and killed Fred DiGiovanni, a suspected Barker spy within the Touhy organization. Hare was rumored to paid reporter Jake Lingle as much as $20,000 in bribes to keep him from writing stories on his gambling dens/night spots.  

Hanhardt, William "He was at the top ranks of the Chicago police department, which is a frightening prospect. Hanhardt's organization surpasses -- in duration and sophistication -- just about any other jewelry theft ring we've seen in federal law enforcement" U.S. Attorney Scott Lassar    Did boredom lead a Chicago super cop to a help organize a Mafia crew of jewel thieves? Or was he always just a dirty cop who finally got caught?  Before he was jailed for masterminding a ring of Mafia thieves who stole $4.85 million in jewels across the nation, William Hanhardt had once been the chief of detectives of the Chicago police, chief of traffic, commander of the burglary section, deputy superintendent for inspectional services and a stationhouse commander.
   Early in his career, Hanhardt was considered the best of a new breed of street cop coming of age in the 1950s and 1960s. Cops and prosecutors admired him for his leadership, his toughness and ability to close a case. He had real bravado. He once chased a vicious ring of home invaders down the street, guns blazing. He worked high-profile burglary cases through much of his career and had, or seemed to have had until his underworld links became known, a particular knack for turning informants which in turn contributed to his cracking some of the city's more celebrated criminal cases.
  For five years Hanhardt headed the elite Criminal Investigations Unit (C.l.U) of the Chicago Police Department. Working side by side with Jack Hinchy, his partner of many years, and a team of hand-picked specialists drawn from the Chicago Police Department's elite burglary, robbery and homicide bureaus, Hanhardt's C.l.U. unit was regarded as the best on the street.
   Hanhardt retired on March 26, 1986 after 33 years on the force and became a consultant to the film-noir TV series ”Crime Story," about an elite team of Chicago detectives that takes on the mob. The writers modeled the show's hero, Lt. Mike Torello after Hanhardt.  Hanhardt, who advised the show on police procedures, even had a cameo in one episode, playing a retired Kansas City hit man who travels to Las Vegas to urge that peace be made with a transplanted Chicago mob boss. He was living out his retirement in an upper-income North Shore suburb. He had money, a good reputation, overall, So why did he continue the robberies?
   There had always been questions about Hanhardt’s career.
    He started his career in the 1950s and organized crime experts in Chicago could not explain how the cop was able to climb so high in the department without influence from politicians in Chicago's scandal-drenched 1st Ward Democratic Organization.
    Bob Fuesel, a retired Internal Revenue Service agent who worked on organized crime cases during the 1960s and '70s, says he was told by members of the police intelligence unit "to stay away from that guy. ... He was bad news."
    Fuesel said it was "common knowledge" among organized crime prosecutors decades ago that Hanhardt was associated with the mob. Informants told the feds he'd been on the underworld payroll for decades.
   A corrupt ex-cop claimed Hanhardt had shaken down bookies and burglars in the 1950s and bank robber Robert "Bobby the Beak" Siegel said several years ago that in the late 1960s, the word on the grapevine was mobsters were paying the master detective $1,200 a month and sweetening the deal with a new car every two years.
   There were also sealed court documents that claimed that in 1979, Hanhardt might have leaked details of a major FBI investigation into Las Vegas casino skimming, when he leaked information about a pending federal investigation of mobsters at the home of Anthony Chiavola, a Chicago police officer and nephew of Kansas City rackets boss Nick Civella.
   According to testimony by a government witness in 1975, Hanhardt had delivered a $2,200 check to pay for surveillance equipment for Ronald DeAngeles, a mob wiretapper. The equipment was installed in the home of bail bondsman Irwin Weiner, a friend of Hanhardt's. Hanhardt defended the arrangement, telling prosecutors he asked Weiner to install the devices to keep track of his children.
Weiner, who has deep contacts to the mob, was one of the last people Jack Ruby spoke to by phone before he murdered Lee Harvey Oswald in 1963.
    One cop questioned Hanhardt’s success. The rumors were, “How can a cop be so great unless he had the inside track at something? He would know who committed a score hours after it happened."
     Hanhardt's name turned up in Asian gangsters Ken Eto's little black book of phone numbers and addresses. Eto was a mob linked gambler
More or less working under a hood named Vince Solano, a labor extortionist.
   His name was also found in Allen Dorfman's little black book shortly after Dorfman was gunned down gangland style outside the Lincolnwood Hyatt Hotel on January 20, 1983 as he crossed an ice filled parking lot in Chicago. He was scheduled to testify before a grand jury investigating mob-Teamster connections in Las Vegas.
    Dorfman was the owner of Amalgamated Insurance Agency, a firm handling millions of dollars of Teamster union money. At the time of his death, Dorfman was convicted for his role in the Central States Pension fund/casino "skimming" case and facing serious jail time.
   Most appalling was that Hanhardt appeared as a friendly witness for Anthony "the Ant" Spilotro, the Chicago mob's enforcer and killer in Las Vegas while the Ant was on trial for running his "Hole-in-the-Wall" jewelry burglary ring out in Vegas.
    Hanhardt took the stand to invalidate the testimony of mobster Frank Cullotta, who had agreed to become a Federal witness against Spilotro. Hanhardt's appearance on behalf of the vicious Spilotro
stunned many observers.
    In the late 1960s and early 1970’s, it was Spilotro who had made Chicago the center for the Mafia's stolen jewels.
   Hanhardt heard the whispers about his connections and replied that he was a victim of stories, police politics, remarks taken out of context, false innuendos from unnamed sources, and what he called a "smear."
But when the chief of detectives was making remarks like, “I knew Outfit characters that were better men than some of the police officers I had to work with”, eyebrows were raised.
   Inside the police department, there was a clear divide down the middle between those officers who knew Hanhardt was just another common thief and those who assumed he truly was a super cop. The pathetic part was that those cops, and there were several hundred of them, who knew Hanhardt was a crook, never went public with their knowledge.
    Reporters and prosecutors, not privy to talk inside the police stations, heard about Hanhardt’s criminal activities from the FBI who let it be known that “they were interested in taking him down and were looking for informants."
     Although the whispers about Hanhardt’s underworld contacts never made it to the public, in 1986, the FBI decided there were enough rumors floating around to plant a bug in the cop’s house. There was also a wire tap on his phone for at least a year. The tapes revealed Hanhardt was calling police department contacts who did database searches on jewelers for him.
   That led to surveillance which found Hanhardt and others attending a jewelry show in Tucson in 1996, using a false name to register and obtaining a safe deposit box at the hotel.
    However, the end came in 1999 when an associate in the jewel theft ring got involved in a nasty divorce. An angry wife led police
to a bank safe deposit box. It contained scores of uncut diamonds and jewels -- plus a phony ID her husband had used along with phone bugs and car tracing beepers.
     An informant gave Federal agents copies of index cards with information on jewelers used by Hanhardt and others to conduct surveillance. The FBI found several of those people were, in fact, theft victims.
  In the fall of 2000, the FBI moved in on the ring and shut it down.
In one day, Hanhardt and five others were charged with operating a nationwide theft ring that stalked jewelry salespeople and stole more than $5 million in gems and watches.
   One heist occurred near the end of Hanhardt's career, the others after he retired.
    Law enforcement officials say the first of the heists took place in Wisconsin in 1984, two years before Hanhardt retired from the force.
   Many of the robberies were from parked cars, meaning the thieves knew what cars the salesmen were driving.  During the wiretap, investigation, Hanhardt asked Chicago detectives for plate numbers and the make and model of jewelry salesmen’s’ car.
Federal prosecutors didn’t charge the detectives because they still didn't have evidence to prove they knew they were providing information being used in a criminal conspiracy.
    The more the agents listened, the more they heard Hanhardt
Call active-duty Chicago Police to search departmental databases to gather information on potential victims. He even hired a private detective to get additional facts from credit bureaus to better plan his robberies.
   In all the gang stalked more than 100 jewelry salespeople handling more than $40 million in merchandise over 15 years, targeting
victims in Dallas, Texas; Mankato, Minnesota; Phoenix, Arizona; Englewood, Ohio; Los Angeles, California; Las Vegas, Nevada; and various locations in Illinois and Indiana.
   Members of the ring routinely followed the jewelry salesmen on their appointed rounds. Several times, while merely stalking the salesmen, opportunity raised its head and the salesmen would park their car and run into a coffee shop or restaurant for a quick bite. When they did, even though it wasn’t planned for that moment, the thief following the salesman would jimmy open the trunk and run off with the sample case.
    In one theft that fell under that M.O, the gang got 180 Baume & Mercier watches from a location in Glendale, Wisconsin on October 8, 1984, that netted them an inventory of stolen goods valued at $310,000. In Monterey, California on October 13, 1986, a Rolex watch salesman lost approximately $500,000 of inventory
   The gangs sometimes switched jeweler's cases with matching luggage so the victims wouldn't even be aware of the theft for some time.
  But otherwise, Prosecutors said the gang's operations were among the most sophisticated they have ever encountered, with smoke grenades, fake beards and mustaches, listening devices and other high-tech paraphernalia and Hanhardt's know-how was critical to the ring's success. And they were successful. While the gang actually got more than $5 million worth of goods, they had targeted more than 100 jewelry salesmen and $40 million in jewelry, gems and watches, according to federal prosecutors.
   Although most of the robberies were from locked cars, the biggest, a $1.5 million heist, came from safe-deposit boxes at the Columbus, Ohio, Hyatt Regency hotel.
   The thieves' methods were elaborate. They used coded language, aliases and carried bulletproof vests and a fake mustache and beard. Their tools and equipment ranged from slim jims and lock picks to listening tools and a device with flash bulbs to temporarily blind victims.
   They kept meticulous records on potential targets, obtaining their phone numbers (some unlisted), bank account information, frequent flyer numbers and travel itineraries.
  They convinced auto manufacturers they were dealers to get access codes to cut new keys for cars. And they bought luggage that matched bags carried by their targets, so they could make a quick switch.
   All the while, the feds tracked Hanhardt around the country and collected 3,000 pieces of the ring's incriminating writings.
  Indicted with Hanhardt was James D'Antonio, a driver and top lieutenant for reputed mob boss Joseph Lombardo. D’Antonio was 
deceased by the time the indictment came around.
  Another was Joseph Basinski, an alleged jewel thief who already was facing federal charges of trying to intimidate a witness in a post-midnight visit to his home. Basinski was arrested in March 1999 and accused of attempting to intimidate William Friedman, a witness in this case, in a post-midnight visit to the Friedman home.
  Friedman had given the FBI Basinski's briefcase-full of personal information about dozens of traveling wholesale jewelry salesmen. Investigators opened the briefcase without a warrant, and a judge ordered the evidence suppressed, barring prosecutors from using its contents against Hanhardt and the others. Prosecutors asked the appeals court to reconsider its decision upholding the judge's ruling.
   Originally, Basinski was released on bond, provided he wore an electronic monitoring bracelet on his ankle. However, he was brought back into court and accused of a possible bond violation after getting into a drunken brawl at a Chicago restaurant with a 38-year-old woman who described herself as his "trophy girlfriend" and sent him love poetry. He was ordered confined to his mother's home except for trips to court and for necessary medical treatment.
  Basinski was Hanhardt's top aide in the operation.
  Also indicted was Guy Altobello who worked at a suburban jewelry store, Altobello Jewelers, owned by his son, and provided one or more of the other defendants with information about jewelry salesmen to help plan heists. Altobello a reputed associate of former mob boss James "Turk" Torello.
  Also charged was Sam DeStefano, 46, of Downers Grove, whose deceased nephew was allegedly the reputed mobster, the much-feared "Mad Sam" DeStefano who was murdered inside the family garage on mob orders. One of the shotgun killers was believed to have been Mad Sam's protégé, Nicky "The Ant" Spilotro.
   DeStefano's role in the theft ring came to light in part because of a bitter divorce in DuPage County Circuit Court. During one court hearing, DeStefano and his wife argued about hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry kept in the couple's safety deposit box.
   Paul Schiro worked the jewelry trade shows, store owners and salesmen. He was also a suspected Mafia murderer. James D'Antonio, maintained the inventory of burglary tools, and Robert Paul conducted surveillance of jewelry stores out in the desert, both died before the case went before a judge.
   In searching D’Antonio’s belongings, his collection of hardware tools included lock picks, "slim jims", smoke grenades, disguises, cutting dies, wrenches, taser, bullet proof vests, key code books, listening devices, key blanks, hotel keys, and handy instruction manuals. Detailed notebooks containing information about the salesmen including their family members and private residences were maintained with meticulous accuracy.
  A week before Hanhardt was to appear in court, he opted for the coward’s way out, overdose. He was rushed to a hospital unconscious where Doctors determined that he had taken an overdose of a powerful pain killer in a suicide attempt. He was arrested and placed in the psychiatric unit at Bethany Hospital in Chicago. Since then, he has been moved to the government's Metropolitan Correctional Center.
   On October 26, 2001, Hanhardt stood before Judge Charles Norgle, Sr. wearing the bright orange jumpsuit of a federal prisoner, and pleaded guilty to masterminding $5 million in jewelry thefts.
"Are you pleading guilty because you are, in fact, guilty?" the judge asked.
"Yes, sir, I am," he said.
   Hanhardt agreed to pay $4,845,000 in restitution for stolen jewelry, gems and watches and faces as much as a dozen years in prison.

Hawthorne Inn Shooting: On the chilly afternoon on September 20, 1926, Al Capone was sitting in one of his Cicero hang out’s, the Hawthorne Inn Hotel (4833 22nd Street in Cicero.) when an armed convoy of eight touring cars drove by the establishment and sprayed it with bullets.    The first car to drive by, alone, let off of a burst from a Tommy gun, throwing customers to the floor. A bodyguard, Frankie Rio, threw Capone to floor and covered his body with his own. When the shooting ended, Capone rose to his feet and started to walk towards the window when Rio realized that the first car had been firing blanks with the purpose of bringing Capone to the sidewalk. Rio threw Capone back onto the floor and again covered his body with his own.   Ten more cars drove down the street and as they passed the Inn fired machine-gun, shotgun and automatic pistol fire into the business.  As a result Capone emerged unharmed. Although there were an estimated 60 people in the dining room, only one person, a woman, was injured when she was struck in the eye by flying glass was one of the few injured. Capone boasted that he spent $10,000 saving the lady's eyesight. The O’Bannion gang, then at war with Capone and his organization, took credit for the drive by shooting. Hymie Weiss, the hood in charge of the shooting, paid with his life three weeks later.  He was cut down by six assassins opposite the Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago, causing Capone to remark "Hymie is dead because he was a bullhead. Forty times I've tried to arrange things so we'd have peace and life would be worth living but he couldn't be told anything."  

Hass, A.B: A long time Lake County slot machine operator for the mob, active in the 1950s

Hight Jesse: A Stone Park Illinois high school teacher and civic activist. In 1962 he made the mistake of accusing gangster Rocco Pranno of running Stone Park’s rackets, police force and city hall. Several days later, Pranno was beaten severely by Pranno enough to be placed in the hospital

Humphreys, Murray: 1899-1965. Born Llewellyn Humphreys AKA John Humphreys and J. Harris. For almost four decades, Murray Humphreys was a major power behind the Chicago mob. A Welshman, Humphreys began with the mob as a labor enforcer for Al Capone and end it four decades later as one of the most successful and powerful hoods in the history of organized crime in America.  Humphreys was different. He seldom used foul or abusive language. Even Presidents Truman and Eisenhower, who knew the Humphreys, remarked he was a cultivated man. But, “The nicest guy in the mob,”[1] as Sam Giancana called him, this “Gentleman hood” was as blindly ambitious and he was ruthless.
    Murray Humphreys worked to edify himself and to distance his outward persona from the gangster that he was.  He learned what to wear and when to wear it. He practiced his diction and improved his vocabulary. He was a dapper, short man who adored expensive and well-made suits. His elegant traits inspired a new generation of Chicago hoods who tried to mimic his style, the soft tone of voice, his slow, nasal diction, which was void of any emotion when ordering a hit or a beating. In turn, Hollywood made hundreds of films based on smooth talking, cold as ice underworld characters that they watched flood into tinsel town from Chicago during the late thirties and early forties.   Humphreys was slicker and far smarter then most other hoods, and he skyrocketed through the ranks to become the Syndicate chief political fixer. Humphreys was born to a large, working class family of Welsh immigrants on Chicago’s near North side.   In the early 1920’s, Humphreys and his partner Fred Evans hijacked a series of Capone beer trucks. Capone had Humphrey’s brought before him and after a conversation put him to work on one of his crews.   By 1930, the Humphreys was rich. When the government looked into his birthplace, with plans to deport him, he bought an oversized American flag and placed it in front to his palatal home on South Bennet Street. The property was filled with first edition songs from the Irish poet Thomas Moore whose verse he liked to sing aloud to his family. He also purchased some very valuable first edition Dickens.  He earned enough money to hire Ralph Pierce as his personnel assistant, a post he would hold for years. Only twenty years old in 1930, Pierce was already suspected in an armed robbery and was known to be a paid Election Day slugger for Judge Morris Eller.
After Capone went to jail, and the press started to look for someone to call the Boss, they focused on Humphreys who was shrewd enough to work with the clever Paul Ricca to set up Frank Nitti up as Capone’s predecessor. Both Ricca and Humphreys understood the value of low profile in the underworld. In late 1932, Humphreys opened The Truck and Transport Exchange (TNT)  “The biggest and most extraordinary team racket ever forced upon Chicago commerce,” a federal report read.  TNT was actually started by Red Barker who brought Humphreys into the business as a partner. It was a simple scam, enormous in its scope. Every truck driver who drove into the city of Chicago paid TNT a tribute. “On almost every consignment of goods that are moved through the streets of Chicago” [2] TNT charged $10 signing fee and earned $40,000 per month from truckers who were forced to join.   The big intercontinental bus companies, which were owned by the railroads, were the only ones powerful enough to resist Humphreys. Otherwise, TNT brought in $40,000.00 a month. Another $100,000 was leveled on coal business by Marcus “Studdy” Looney[3] on Humphreys orders. Humphreys was also president of the Cleaners and Dryers Institute. Control of the Dry Cleaners was a valuable asset since cleaner were allowed to have the chemicals needed to process heroin and cocaine.
Borden Milk, which was unionized but not with Humphreys, and ran hundreds of delivery trucks, held out and Humphreys declared war on them. On May 3, 500 pounds of explosives stolen from a construction site.  In the next two days, seven bombs were set off in a Borden’s lot, destroying 65 Milk trucks. That night Humphreys and his men escaped Hot Springs, Arkansas to avoid arrest. But they were back by May 8, to call a strike at 108 of the cities 200 coal yards. Chicago’s State’s Attorney Courtney vowed that he would do everything he could to break the strike, but did nothing. The federal government however, was watching and moved in federal teams to bust TNT’s power.
On June 27, 1933, Humphreys was indicted for defrauding the government by not paying tax from 1930-1932. To fled to Mexico for 16 months, but returned in 1934 to face charges. Convicted, he was sent to Leavenworth “While I’m down here” he said “I intend to study English and maybe a little geometry”[4] His wife, Mary, half Irish and American Indian, flooded the warden’s office with letters on his behalf, prompting an early release. She was there at the gates waiting for him when he was released. He openly shared mob secrets with his wife and openly sought her advice on syndicate issues.
In 1940, Frederick Evans, Humphreys business partner and “The mobs mystery man and the new Jake Guzak”[5] was indicted along with Humphreys, Paul Ricca and Louis Campagna for conspiracy to seize control of the Chicago Bar Tenders Union and its treasury.
The case collapsed when George Mc lane, business agent for the union, refused to testify against the mobsters when he was called as a witness for the state. Somehow, Humphreys put the fix in with Mc Lean who took the witness stand during the trial and changed his entire testimony. Years later, Humphreys unknowingly told an FBI microphone “I’m gonna tell you something. When Courtney was States Attorney and all of us guys got indicted and Nitti was holler’n like hell, we broke through and we got to the assistant states attorney and we got the witness and let me tell you, I had the jury too, just in case”
In the mid 1940s, Humphreys hired members of the 42 gang, which includes Sam Giancana, Marshal Caifano, “Teets” Battaglia and others, to guard the boss’s wife when the Touhy gang escaped from prison. As a result, Giancana and his gang eventually took over the mob leadership in the very late 1950s.At the same time, Humphreys was watching the developments in Las Vegas with great interest and ordered Johnny Roselli, the Chicago mobs point man on the west coast, to keep him abreast of everything that was happening out west no matter how trivial it seemed. Humphreys understood that information was vital to the success of his operations and his intelligence network across Chicago, especially within the police department, was staggering. Paul Ricca, who led the mob from behind the scenes, had a son who was a drug addict. As a result Ricca outlawed narcotics’ sales by his men within Chicago. But that wasn’t the only reason, Murray Humphreys and his fraction of largely non-Italian hoods, insisted that the syndicate and the Mafia in Chicago stay out of direct drug sales since Humphreys was convinced that the mobs influence in legitimate circles would wane if they became involved with drug sales. Instead he stuck to gambling and prostitution.[6]
In 1943, Humphreys was arrested for income tax evasion. He pled guilty because the government was also going after one of his front men, Morrie Gordon. Humphreys worked a deal with the tax men that if he would plead guilty to tax evasion if they drop the charges against Gordon.  A tax conviction didn’t do much to change the Humphreys financial record keeping. Three years later, in 1946, his tax returns claimed he earned $24,000 in commissions The following year, mob tax lawyer Morrie Bernstein prepared Humphreys tax returns and recorded commission of a $27,000 as the Humphreys income and nothing else. On November 7, 1946, Humphreys was caught bragging into an FBI microphone that the syndicate even had contacts in Harry Truman’s White House through the Postmaster Robert Hannegan. When the conversation came back around to business the mobsters said they would get rid of the free lancers and makes the sheriff look good and keep him “In office forever if you want it...longer even” [7]
While Humphreys was in prison on the tax charges, the Chicago outfit became involved with the Bioff-Hollywood scandal which resulted in several of the top bosses going to jail. A year after the  Bioff scandal ended, Humphreys was released from his prison and filled the power vacuum, elevating his position and power twice what it had been before his conviction. 
Before the close of the decade, Humphreys honed the art of front companies and taught young hoods how to loan those companies money and then take the money back, thus establishing an explainable income. Humphreys had a low regard for Sam Giancana when Giancana was boss, but was obedient to his whims. When Hy Godfrey, a Humphrey flunky, wanted to go to Hot Springs and vacation, he called Humphrey who said it was okay “But check with Sam”
“Why, I have your permission” Godfrey said
“He’s the boss. His okay is what you need, not me or Gussie (Alex)” [8]
Yet when Giancana ordered everyone in the organization to stay away from high profile mobster Frank Ferraro’s burial, Humphreys was angry and argued with him over it, but in the end, he stayed away
In 1959, he left his loyal wife for Betty Jean Neibert, a waitress twenty-five years younger then himself. Neibert had been married to a hapless bookmaker named Eddie Vine. Vine, upset over losing his wife, threatened to go to the FBI with financial information on Humphreys. Several days later, he was found in a hotel room, a rope tied to his neck a d secured to his ankles. The more he moved, the more he strangled himself to death. Humphreys eventually left Neibert after six years and returned to his wife “There’s no fool like an old fool” [9] he said.   Humphreys suffered a heart attack after a scuffle with FBI agents and died in his apartment.               

Hod Carriers International: Prohibition gangster Joey Aiello was appointed to the mob dominated Hod Carriers International Union as Financial Secretary and then Vice President in 1955.

Hearse: While doing in business in Las Vegas, the high profile Giancana sometimes conducted his business in a rented hearse to throw off federal agents assigned to follow him.

Hvid, Marinus: Hvid owned a garage at 3514 North Halstead street. On December 27, 1939, as he parked his car in front of his home at 438 Briar Place, two men, armed with baseball bats leaped out of the dark and beat him to death.  Hvid had pulled out of Humpreys Garage owners association several weeks before and refused to pay his dues. 

Hit car: In 1962, Chicago newspapers coined the term “Hit car” after a patrolman spotted gangsters Milwaukee Phil Aldersio and Charlie Nicoletti, noted hitmen, crouched on the floor of a hit car parked on a dark street. When officers searched the car they found several secret compartments filled with rifles, shot guns and pistols. Both Mobsters were dressed in black hats, black coats and pants and black shoes and said they were laying on the floor of the car while they waited for a friend.
Nicoletti was murdered for reasons unknown in 1971as he was sitting in the front seat of his car in the Golden Horns restaurant on North Avenue in Northlake. The killer was in the back seat talking to him when he fired Three shots to the back of Nicoletti’s head with a .38 revolver.

Hotel San Juan: Sam Giancana, Paul Ricca, Tony Accardo, New York Mafia Boss Frank Costello and New Orleans Boss Carlos Marcello, owned the Hotel San Juan (Puerto Rico) together in partnership in the late 1950s.Giancana also invested 450,000.00 in a South American Gold refinement smelter scheme on a Dutch controlled island off the coast of Columbia where gold stolen in the United States could be shipped, smelted down and shipped back into the country for sale. The Hotel Presidendte, Mexico was the  Chicago mobs hotel of choice in Mexico, frequented by Giancana, Accardo and Jackie Cerone. The Wofford, Grand, and Sands Hotel in Florida in the 1940s and 1950s were owned by Frank Erickson and fronted by Abe Allenberg and later sold to front man Thomas Cassara. George Sax, the Chicago punchboard king, had a large investment in the Saxony Hotel in Miami Beach, and Lou Greenberg operated the Seneca Hotel, which is where Charlie "Cherry Nose" Gioe, lived. In Los Angeles, Fred Evans had an interest in the Hayward Hotel.
Hunt Sam: AKA “Golf Bag” Hunt, Born Samuel McPherson Hunt. An Italian-American despite the name, beginning in 1943, following the murders of Danny Stanton and Martin "Sonny Boy" Quirk, Hunt became a power in Chicago's South Side gambling racket. His lieutenant was Hyman Gottfreed.(AKA Hy Godfrey)  In May 1930, Hunt was arrested as a member of a shotgun squad that kidnapped and wounded a man.  Hunt was found at the scene with a discharged shotgun in a golf bag and he was driving the getaway car carrying the victim when he was arrested. The case was, remarkably, nolle prossed by the State on April 10, 1931. Emulating Capone, he preferred to be called “Mr. Hunt” by those he employed and newspaper people. Hunt was the suspected killer of Hymie Weiss. In 1933 he received a one year jail term for carry a concealed weapons charge. Over the next ten years, he was arrested many times following gang slayings but was never been successfully prosecuted including an incident in 1942  when Hunt was involved in an automobile accident. An argument followed and the driver of the car was shot and killed. Hunt was wounded. He and his driver, Hy Godfrey, were indicted but  after four trials, they were found not guilty on January 11, 1943. In 1944, Hunt was an official of the Drexel Wine & Liquor Co., located at Thirty-ninth and Cottage Grove Avenue. He also had a controlling interest in the Cook Oil Company as well as an interest in a tavern at Sixty-third and Cottage Grove Avenue, Chicago. He died of natural causes, 1954.  
Horse meat scandal: In 1952, members of the Chicago mob were arrested for forcing restaurants to buy horse meat they had labeled as beef.

[1] FBI field report
[2] Tribune
[3]  Looney was primarily a pimp and a professional gunman who had worked for the Capone organization and others
[4]  Chicago Tribune interview with Humprey
[5]  Chicago Tribune
[6]  Humpreys insisted that he was a gambler and had no interest in prostitution however, the evidence states otherwise
[7]  US Senate hearing Bioff extortion case
[8]  FBI field report
[9] Authors interview with Joe Pignatella

No comments: