Welcome

Welcome
John William Tuohy lives in Washington DC

Soda tax brings needed cash to gardening program




The wise man in the storm prays to God not for safety from danger but for deliverance from fear. Emerson


300 quotes from Emerson
To view more Emerson quotes or read a life background on Emerson please visit the books blog spot. We update the blog bi-monthly
 emersonsaidit.blogspot.com


Soda tax brings needed cash to gardening program
by Emily Dugdale
  

BUSD’s cooking and gardening program has been in need of financial support since federal funding was slashed in 2013. Photo: Kaia Diringer
The Berkeley Unified School District’s beleaguered cooking and gardening program will see a welcome injection of funds as a result of revenues accrued from Measure D, the so-called soda tax, approved by city residents last November.
On Thursday, June 4, a panel appointed to allocate taxes collected from the sugar-sweetened beverage tax recommended $250,000 be advanced to the cooking and gardening program.
It was announced May 18 that the soda tax had raised $116,000 in its first month of operation.

The Berkeley City Council is set to vote to approve the panel’s recommendation by June 30, while the Berkeley School Board is slated to finalize its budget June 10 with the knowledge that the funding is essentially secured.
The panel decision “was pretty much unanimous — this was something that definitely needed to happen,” panel Chairwoman Jennifer Brown said at the meeting, which was hosted by MomsRising.org and the Ecology Center.


In a discussion and Q&A moderated by Ecology Center Executive Director Martin Bourque, experts and members of the community discussed the outcomes of the soda tax revenues and ideas for how the $250,000 will be allocated within the gardening program.
“I’m thrilled to see this working,” Bourque told Berkeleyside. “This was envisioned a long time ago — to see it actually happening now is amazing.”
Last week’s meeting on the allocation of soda tax revenue to the BUSD cooking and gardening program included (l to r) program supervisor Jezra Thompson, soda tax panel Chair Jennifer Brown, Councilwoman Linda Maio and Ecology Center chief Martin Bourque. Photo: Emily Dugdale


BUSD cooking and gardening program supervisor Jezra Thompson echoed Bourque’s enthusiasm, but also emphasized that there is still a long road ahead. “I’ve been excited about this for a while, but I don’t want to get my hopes up too much,” she told Berkeleyside, adding that total funding so far for the 2015-16 program tops $600,000, but “that’s not enough.”
However, she added: “When the papers are signed, I’ll be celebrating with everyone else who’s supported us.”
BUSD gardening program coping with 2013 funding cuts
The gardening program operates as part of the 2020 Vision for Berkeley Children and Youth, and offers students from preschool to seventh grade hands-on instruction in core subjects such as science, environment and nutrition.


“We teach students that taking care of the land and their body and understanding the importance of healthy food and the intricacies of a food system allows for the development of multiple intelligences and builds healthy practices,” according to a district report about the program’s efforts last fall.
The nationally recognized program took a blow in 2013, when it lost a $1.9 million federal grant from the California Nutrition Network.
“We used to have gardening, we had cooking, we had a really large budget to provide this to students once a week,” Thompson said at last week’s community meeting. “We had to ask hard questions, such as what do we do now that we’ve lost all this money? Where do we make the cuts, now that we’re totally broke?”

The program underwent several structural changes, including the elimination of most of the cooking part of the program, staffing cuts, two annual program assessments, changes to how classroom academics related to garden time and the launch of co-teaching with full classes.
There are currently 10 part-time garden instructors who work side-by-side with teachers for 10-27 hours a week using the gardening period as a bridge to current classroom projects and curriculum. The program reaches 5,811 students across 17 schools, according to the district, with lessons that are generally 45 minutes long. Instruction is provided every other week with an average of two lessons per month for each class grade.
The program has largely been deemed a success by both teachers and students. In the fall 2014 report, the district wrote that “students are excited to get out into the garden and take great pride in caring for the garden.”
At a school board meeting April 22, a representative for the gardening program outlined the status quo in light of pending cuts proposed by the district earlier in the year.
Last year’s total budget for the program was $677,243, which included a one-time contribution of $100,000 from the city of Berkeley and $485,000 from the school district. Salary and benefits for gardening instructors totaled $436,444, with program administration costing $145,619.
The 2014-15 school year saw $4,715 raised through grants and $17,672 from fundraising events, many organized by parents. Total fundraising during the 2013-14 school year was $51,000. Yet, as it headed into the 2015-16 school year, supporters of the program were unsure about more funding until the council recommended that $250,000 of forward funding be allocated to school gardens.
Emily Dugdale, a graduate of Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts, is a summer intern at Berkeleyside.



Good Word to Have.....

Bellwether:  Long ago, it was common practice for shepherds to hang a bell around the neck of one sheep in their flock, thereby designating it the lead sheep. This animal was called the bellwether, a word formed by a combination of the Middle English words belle (meaning "bell") and wether (a noun that refers to a male sheep that has been castrated). It eventually followed that bellwether would come to refer to someone who takes initiative or who actively establishes a trend that is taken up by others.



MY DOG, BART THE DOG


 
     He's not supposed to be on the couch. We went for the evening came back, and there he was.
 








                                 That horse got hold of Bart's leash and wouldn't let go

Poor Bart's gone deaf so he likes the headphones, I think he hears the vibration, or feels it anyway...or maybe he just likes my playlist



From Troilus and Cressida

(Ulysses speaks)


Time hath, my lord, a wallet at his back,
Wherein he puts alms for oblivion,
A great-sized monster of ingratitudes:
Those scraps are good deeds past; which are devour’d
As fast as they are made, forgot as soon
As done: perseverance, dear my lord,
Keeps honor bright: to have done is to hang
Quite out of fashion, like a rusty mail
In monumental mockery. Take the instant way;
For honor travels in a strait so narrow,
Where one but goes abreast: keep then the path;
For emulation hath a thousand sons
That one by one pursue: if you give way,
Or hedge aside from the direct forthright,
Like to an enter’d tide, they all rush by
And leave you hindmost;
Or like a gallant horse fall’n in first rank,
Lie there for pavement to the abject rear,
O’er-run and trampled on: then what they do in present,
Though less than yours in past, must o’ertop yours;
For time is like a fashionable host
That slightly shakes his parting guest by the hand,
And with his arms outstretch’d, as he would fly,
Grasps in the comer: welcome ever smiles,
And farewell goes out sighing. O, let not virtue seek
Remuneration for the thing it was;
For beauty, wit,
High birth, vigor of bone, desert in service,
Love, friendship, charity, are subjects all
To envious and calumniating time.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin,
That all with one consent praise new-born gawds,
Though they are made and molded of things past,
And give to dust that is a little gilt
More laud than gilt o’er-dusted.
The present eye praises the present object.
Then marvel not, thou great and complete man,
That all the Greeks begin to worship Ajax;
Since things in motion sooner catch the eye
Than what not stirs. The cry went once on thee,
And still it might, and yet it may again,
If thou wouldst not entomb thyself alive
And case thy reputation in thy tent;
Whose glorious deeds, but in these fields of late,
Made emulous missions ‘mongst the gods themselves
And drave great Mars to faction.



 I'm trying to teach myself Spanish, this is what I learned today

Guemar (keh-mahr') To burn.  

1. Cada vez que intento hacer arroz con gandules, quemo el arroz. Every time I try to make rice with pigeon peas, I burn the rice. 

2. ¿Quemar la basura es malo para el medio ambiente? Is burning trash bad for the environment? 






Letter to N.Y.

by Elizabeth Bishop

   
From The Complete Poems 1927-1979. © Farrar, Straus and Giroux. 

Letter to N.Y.
For Louise Crane 

 In your next letter I wish you'd say
 where you are going and what you are doing; 
 how are the plays, and after the plays 
 what other pleasures you're pursuing:

 taking cabs in the middle of the night, 
 driving as if to save your soul 
 where the road goes round and round the park 
 and the meter glares like a moral owl,

 and the trees look so queer and green
 standing alone in big black caves 
 and suddenly you're in a different place 
 where everything seems to happen in waves,

 and most of the jokes you just can't catch, 
 like dirty words rubbed off a slate, 
 and the songs are loud but somehow dim 
 and it gets so terribly late,

 and coming out of the brownstone house 
 to the gray sidewalk, the watered street, 
 one side of the buildings rises with the sun 
 like a glistening field of wheat.

—Wheat, not oats, dear. I'm afraid 
 if it's wheat it's none of your sowing, 
 nevertheless I'd like to know
 what you are doing and where you are going.



Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.”


THE BOOK OF FUNNY, ODD AND INTERESTING THINGS THAT PEOPLE SAY

Compiled by

John William Tuohy




Dim Stars

"I resign in Florida." -- Backstreet Boys member Nick Carter, at age 14. The comment scared the interviewer and fellow band members into thinking he was leaving the group.

"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life." -- Brooke Shields

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -- Louisiana native Britney Spears, when asked the best part of being famous.

I think that the film 'Clueless' was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness. Alicia Silverstone

What's Walmart, do they sell like wall stuff? Paris Hilton

Is this chicken what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna but it says Chicken, by the Sea.  Jessica Simpson

I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman. Arnold Schwartzanegger

I get to go overseas places, like Canada. Britney Spears

I feel my best when I'm happy.Winona Ryder

Fiction writing is great. You can make up almost anything.- Ivana Trump, on finishing her first novel

It's nice, it gives you a feeling of security so that if something breaks we know we can always call a guy over and he'll bring a drill or something.- Brooke Shields, Actress, on why it was is good to live in a co-ed dormitory when she was in college

Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all those flies and death and stuff. - Mariah Carey, pop singer

I don't diet. I just don't eat as much as I'd like to. Linda Evangelista, Supermodel

The only happy artist is a dead artist, because only then you can't change. After I die, I'll probably come back as a paintbrush.- Sylvestor Stallone, Actor

Every minute was more exciting than the next.- Linda Evans, actress

If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight.- George Gobel

So Carol, you're a housewife and mother. And have you got any children?- Michael Barrymore

Food is an important part of a balanced diet.- Fran Lebowitz, US writer

I'm not anorexic. I'm from Texas. Are there people from Texas that are anorexic? I've never heard of one. And that includes me.— Jessica Simpson

I've never really wanted to go to Japan. Simply because I don’t like eating fish. And I know that's very popular out there in Africa.— Britney Spears

My only regret in the theater is that I could never sit out front and watch me. John Barrymore

People hate me because I am a multifaceted, talented, wealthy, internationally famous genius. Jerry Lewis

Sometimes I'm so sweet even I can't stand it.  Julie Andrews

I've had diseases that lasted longer than my marriages.  Nell Carter

It costs a lot of money to look this cheap. -Dolly Parton (about herself)

There are only three ages for women in Hollywood--Babe, District Attorney, and Driving Miss Daisy. Goldie Hawn

Sometimes I feel like an old hooker. Cher

They shoulda called me Little Cocaine, I was sniffing so much of the stuff! My nose got big enough to back a diesel truck in, unload it, and drive it right out again. Little Richard

I was so drunk last night I fell down and missed the floor.  Dean Martin

I don't mind that I'm fat. You still get the same money. -Marlon Brando, 1989

I have eyes like those of a dead pig. Marlon Brando

If I could live my life over again, there is one thing I would change. I would want to be able to eat less.- Luciano Pavarotti

I guess I look like a rock quarry that someone has dynamited. Charles Bronson

I have a face like the behind of an elephant. Charles Laughton

I'm not handsome in the classical sense. The eyes droop, the mouth is crooked, the teeth aren't straight, the voice sounds like a mafioso pallbearer.  Sylvester Stallone

I have everything I had twenty years ago - except now it's all lower. Stripper Gypsy Rose Lee

I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep enough. What do you want- an adorable pancreas?  Jean Kerr


Film producer Samuel Goldwyn
"When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."

"Gentlemen, include me out."

"Keep a stiff upper chin."

Modern dancing is so old-fashioned"

"Anything that man says you've got to take with a dose of salts."

" A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on."

"What a wonderful day to spend Sunday!"

"Anybody who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined."

Goldwyn walking in a garden."What's that?" The gardener: "A sundial." Goldwyn: "What's it for?" The gardener: "It tells time by the sun." Goldwyn: "My God, what'll they think of next?"

"I can answer you in two words. Im possible."

"We can get all the Indians we need at the reservoir."

"He worked his way up from nothing, that kid. In fact, he was born in an orphan asylum."

"I had this terrible thing happen at the track. My horse was winning and then his caddy fell off."

"I've been laid up with intentional flu."

"He treats me like the dirt under my feet."

"I would be sticking my head in a moose."

"Somebody should do a picture about the Russian Secret Police. You know, the GOP."

"The hell with the cost. If it's a good picture we'll make it."

"Anita, you've got to cohabit with the director more."

"Didn't you hear me keeping still?"

(Where did he buy a painting) "I don't remember. In Paris. Somewhere over there on the Left Wing."

"I don’t think anybody should write his autobiography until after he’s dead


Eugene Ormandy, conductor
"Congratulations to each and every one of you for the concert last night in New York and vice versa."

"Thank you for your cooperation and vice versa."

"Who is sitting in that empty chair?"

"I told him he'd have a heart attack a year ago, but unfortunately he lived a year longer." (On the occasion of the death of David Oistrakh.)

"Why do you always insist on playing while I'm trying to conduct?”




 “The bigger the issue, the smaller you write. Remember that. You don’t write about the horrors of war. No. You write about a kid’s burnt socks lying on the road. You pick the smallest manageable part of the big thing, and you work off the resonance.” Richard Price







“My heart currently resembles the ashes of my cigarettes.” Virginia Woolf, from a letter to Vita Sackville-West 





No comments: